PM&R practice in Rural areas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Knowing that PM&R is a very small and young specialty, it is logical to assume (correctly) that the vase majority of physiatrists are in large cities.

Does anyone know what size of community will support a PM&R doc? I don't want to return to a large city.

Are job opportunities in small(er) areas out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Frank C.
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by bigfrank
Hi,

Knowing that PM&R is a very small and young specialty, it is logical to assume (correctly) that the vase majority of physiatrists are in large cities.

Does anyone know what size of community will support a PM&R doc? I don't want to return to a large city.

Are job opportunities in small(er) areas out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Frank C.
[email protected]

The figure I've heard thrown around is a population between 50,000 to 75,000 to support a physiatrist. I'd imagine in a smaller community a physiatrist might be doing more geriatric medicine per se and consulting with nursing homes. There is always occupational medicine aspect too. To be honest, I really don't know...

I know that there are 'Pain Management' clinics in rural areas of 30-50K people. Sometimes they have anesthesiologists, psychologists, chiropractors, (you name it!), under the direction of a physiatrist. It's definitely a different out-patient world in rural areas.