pls help with this ques.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daagdar-saab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from dental forum Someone asked which anti depressant doesn't cause a rise in pulse pressure..i know u all are the best ppl to ans this one.So pls help.
thnks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I was at the library to pull some literature for you. But i'm out of town atm.

I do know of an old article that talks about this:

Warrington SJ, Padgham C, Lader M.
The cardiovascular effects of antidepressants.
Psychol Med Monogr Suppl. 1989;16:i-iii, 1-40.
PMID: 2690161

I was able to find it on PubMed. Unfortuneatly, I'm not an expert in this area so the only advice I can give is that the patient needs to be carefully monitored when started on any antidepressants. There are some new antidepressants in the market now, but they pretty much have the same mechanism of action, so the possiblity of varible BP is there. As to how much variablity there is, I have no idea.

This is a very good question, and I wish someone who's a Board Certified Psychiatric Pharmacist would answer this.

I would also recommend that the moderators move this thread to the Pharmacy Forums.

some one on dental forum had mentioned about the drug- Trazodone
do u think this is right?

hey,
wel the 1st question is quite good..im a pharmacy intern and lets see if i may be of any help.

well 1st the are the Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor antidepressants that can cause a rise in blood pressure and in may cases lead to a hypertensive crisis.then there the Tricyclic antidepressants such as amitryptilline that actually have a hypotensive effect. then there are the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors that can cause a rise in BP but that too in high doses as manifested in Seritonin Syndrome. as for the other antidepressants i believ they cause some degree of hypotension.

Members don't see this ad :)
This question certainly doesn't belong licensure forum & appears to be asking for personal medical advice since a dentist would have no need to know for his/her professional practice which antidepressant would change the physiology. The question might have been different if asking if a particular antidepressant might have changed the blood pressure since a dentist might come across this in practice.

I think this thread should be closed......

Status
Not open for further replies.