please recommend prelim/transitional programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any recommendations for prelim/transitional programs?
particularly in NY, SF, LA, Chicago, DC.. ok fine pretty much anywhere

i can recommend the following for Boston: Brigham, Mount Auburn, Cambridge Hospital, Beth Israel, Carney, Lahey Clinic

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by helpless
i can recommend the following for Boston: Brigham, Mount Auburn, Cambridge Hospital, Beth Israel, Carney, Lahey Clinic

Not MGH?

MGH is a little on the intense side for a PRELIM year.. their intern year is particularly hard. a great choice for internal medicine residency, though.

is ANYONE going to make a recommendation? 60 views, but no replies?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had classmates do prelim years at UF-Jacksonville, Denver, & UCSD and they absolutely loved it.

Aim for somewhere you'd like to live for a year - the work is going to be comparable wherever you go, but at the end of a long day wouldn't you rather be somewhere that you can go skiing, go to the beach post-call, etc.

It depends on what you are going into after your PGY-1 year.

For people going into Derm, Ophtho and Rad Onc, they tend to look for an easy schedule, since the transtional/prelim isn't directly related to their field.

If you are going into radiology, anesthesiology, or EM, you probably want to go to a good program where you'll work hard, but will learn a lot as well.

In NYC, St. Vincent's and Cabrini have the reputation for being the easiest. In Philadelphia, Albert Einstein and Presbyterian are the ones to look for. In Delaware, look at Christiana Hospital in Wilmington. In DC, Fairfax Hospital/Georgetown is supposedly an easy one.

Originally posted by helpless
any recommendations for prelim/transitional programs?
particularly in NY, SF, LA, Chicago, DC.. ok fine pretty much anywhere

Transitional: Scripps Mercy hospital near San Diego....the lap of luxury. Know a UCSD anesthesiology res who did his internship there and L.O.V.E.D. it

I'll 2nd ent_doc on that one. I did my trauma surgery month at Scripps Mercy & it was a great hospital...nurses took your orders off the chart & actually did them, you didn't have to keep hounding radiology to get your films & scans done, lab was quick, and the people were nice.

Not to mention - post-call you could go to the beach.

I know Lahey Clinic in Beantown leans towards the cush side, but I've heard the camaraderie isn't the best. Still not a bad program overall though.

As a St. Francis Chicago intern alum, I highly recommend the experience. Dr. Cuts can support my view that it is a primo place to Intern at. Great faculty, nurses are tough and take care of issues on their own. I'm at the University of Michigan now for residency and the St. Francis nurses were way way more self sufficient and less page generating than the nurses here.

No scut, STAT orders are given stat, nice patients, $150/month food allowance at the second best cafeteria in the city. Cap at 5 admissions and 2 transfers per call.
Level 1 ER so you will see real chicago ER crap.

best, Ligament

For SF, I've heard that all the area prelim yrs are good. Many are filled with UCSF bound residents for anesthesia, neuro, etc.

These are CPMC--lots of private docs and interns work pretty hard, St Mary's--smaller place with a few core attendings, UCSF--only 5 spots, Kaiser SF. Also there's Santa Clara with prelim/ TY--a very nice county facility serving the silicon Valley with some immigrants but not an urban county population. In the east bay, there;s alameda county for prelim/ TY.

I applied mostly based on geography. I was warned that it's getting harder and harder to get prelim/TY so apply to enough of them to match.

Any idea of the good transitional year programs in ohio, pittsburgh, or michigan?