This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hester215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is my story...

1. I am 23 years old. Have a 2.54 GPA
So far the sciences I took were
A&P 1 (got an A)
A&P 2 (got an B
Introductory to Chem (A)
General Chem, my THIRD retake this semester (aiming for an A of course)

2. So i only have 67 credits and this semester I am taking 3 classes: General Chem, Micro, and Intro to Nutrition. I picked up nutrition because I thought going the nursing route then MD would be a good idea which i higly regret considering(dont judge me). I am on the decline in this nutrition class if I do not withdraw I can risk my gpa and I do not want that. My only withdraw is my freshman yr when i was undecided i withdrew from an Art class.

3. I am damn out of aid as an undergrad, i just turned 23 this Feb. so I have til Fall 2017 to wait to go independent for more aid (financial aid office words).

I need advice what to do. All I can ponder is my chances of getting into medical school over..I really want this I cannot sit and grind for anything else. Medicine is the profession for me i know it.

What to do? Is there still a chance? What do you recommend?? All advice are welcomed

P.S. I am currently at a junior college and I am a minority (Afr.American)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Change your avatar to protect your anonymity.

You will be fighting a real uphill battle if you are serious about medicine. Have you shadowed at all?

Reactions: 1 user
no not at all. Only thing remotely to shadowing I did was the job I am at currently, a security guard at Penn Medicine Rehabilitation Hospital

Members don't see this ad :)
no not at all. Only thing remotely to shadowing I did was the job I am at currently, a security guard at Penn Medicine Rehabilitation Hospital

You really need to shadow a couple different types of physicians (including DO physicians) first and see if you really want to pursue this path. Your grades will be a hinderance but with a lot of work on your part (you will most likely need to retake many classes and possibly do a SMP), and doing well on the MCAT it is possible to overcome. You may want to check out the sub-3.0 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ntrads-already-accepted-to-med-school.675835/

Thanks. So the nutrition class if I withdraw, will I put myself in a worst position I am already in?

How do you shadow doctors? I know people say just ask them but that is not always easy;normally they are on the go when I am in their presence.

All types of ways. If you have gotten to know some of the docs at your job, you could email them and ask. Or cold email docs in the hospitals in your area. Maybe your UG has a pre-med program that has connections to local hospitals (find out). It may take a couple tries or a ton, really depends on how the physicians feel and their work load.

All types of ways. If you have gotten to know some of the docs at your job, you could email them and ask. Or cold email docs in the hospitals in your area. Maybe your UG has a pre-med program that has connections to local hospitals (find out). It may take a couple tries or a ton, really depends on how the physicians feel and their work load.
Okay that's what I assumed to just cold email them because I haven't quite had dialogues with any of these MD's here. Also I am applying to volunteer at Jefferson Hospital ER, hopefully that open doors.

LAST QUESTION (lol) So the nutrition class if I withdraw, will I put myself in a worst position I am already in?

LAST QUESTION (lol) So the nutrition class if I withdraw, will I put myself in a worst position I am already in?

No prob man ask away. And no a W won't really do much in your situation. If you aren't gonna get an A in it, it's not required, and you don't want to continue - you might as well drop it.

Much better to have a W than a bad grade, but don't let more than one here or there come up, or you really will be hurting yourself. And you should really think about DO, grade repair makes that route much easier.

I would also ask myself, "if it has taken me three tries to pass gen Chem, how am I going to be successful on MCAT, Ochem, biochem, etc". Things down this path get a LOT harder than gem Chem, so assess where you really are, and if you have the dedication and willpower to get where you are trying to go. If you feel like you've made changes and can be successful, you always will have a chance to get into med, but be realistic about your goals vs your actual performance

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile