Please HELP!! What Should I do With MY PreReq English Class??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should i take English 1 my Junior Year??

• YESSSS!!!!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • NOOOO!!!!

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

DarkKnight835

It's not brain science or rocket surgery!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Members! I have been on here for quite awhile, but this is my first time posting. Thank you for your wise advices in helping pre-meds like myself!

Anyway, I am a rising Sophomore and just looked at my classes and requirements for med school, I had a 3 on my AP English and was exempt from taking English 1. Consequently, I took English 2 and a communication class my freshman year. Now I just looked at many individual school websites and they specifically stated that their students REQUIRES 2 semesters of English, or at the very least get a 4 or 5 on the AP English Exam, which I didn't met :/

So should I take English 1 my Junior year to fill the requirement?? I know some school allow my communication OR a Writing Intensive Course to replace it, which I planned to take my Junior Year anyway, although this option is a bit iffy since I'm not sure if all schools allow that. I can't take it my sophomore year because currently I am signed up for 3 Science classes with labs, my schedule is packed and I don't want to risk getting low grades..

TL: DR: Took English 2 and Communication Class freshman year. Plan to take Writing Intensive course Junior year. Should I ALSO take English 1 my JUNIOR year to fulfill med school pre-reqs?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation as you are but applying this cycle. The pre-reqs are not a requirement to apply, only a requirement to matriculate so there is no rush to complete this class this year. Most schools require two semesters of college level english, some do not accept AP credit, so just be sure to take a second english class before you graduate. I also would not recommend taking a lower level class than you already have taken. take a creative writing class or a higher english course, but hey thats just me

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the same situation as you are but applying this cycle. The pre-reqs are not a requirement to apply, only a requirement to matriculate so there is no rush to complete this class this year. Most schools require two semesters of college level english, some do not accept AP credit, so just be sure to take a second english class before you graduate. I also would not recommend taking a lower level class than you already have taken. take a creative writing class or a higher english course, but hey thats just me

I see, thank you for the advice! Good luck on your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
@gonnif i am assuming every medical school is different but what is the policy on taking a course for credit. I was thinking of taking the necessary english requirement for credit (P/F as opposed to a graded class). Since i do not need the class to graduate I have the option to simply take it for credit. Thoughts?

The absolute safest answer is yes that you should pick up a single semester of English sometime prior to pre-matriculation.
However, with your English course and Communications course (depending on what it is), along with AP credit for English, I would consider this low risk.

As @amg_la pointed out, at the vast majority of medical schools, you do not need to have prerequisites prior to applying but prior to matriculating. In the past you could theoretically take a course in the summer prior to matriculation to fulfill missing prereq. However, that is becoming more unworkable as many medical schools start in early August or late July. Many schools are requiring that prereqs be completed by June or even as early as January of matriculation year. In addition, it isnt simply taking and completing the course but having an official transcript stating as such on file at the medical school prior to orientation.

Thank you for your wise expertise! I was wondering if it matters that I take English 1 or an upper level English class if I am going to take another semester of English class?

Thank you for your wise expertise! I was wondering if it matters that I take English 1 or an upper level English class if I am going to take another semester of English class?

I would personally take the upper level English class just to be safe. I'm not sure for other schools, but for UW Madison, we had the following English prereqs that my undergrad college's intro English class definitely did not satisfy, but most upper level classes would.

Relevant portion (Premedical Requirements):
3) Strong skills in written communication outside hard science disciplines are critical in medicine. The UW School of Medicine and Public Health therefore requires applicants to take a writing-intensive course in a humanities or social science field in order to gain these skills. Foreign language or introductory composition courses (e.g., ENG 101) will not satisfy this requirement. Courses that meet this requirement satisfy the following criteria:

• The course should be in a humanities or social sciences field (i.e., no "science writing" courses).
  • At least 30 percent of the final grade should be based on written assignments.
  • Students must be required to complete one substantial research paper (at least eight pages in length).
  • Students must be required to submit a bibliography or works cited page with their substantial research paper.

Reactions: 1 user
I would personally take the upper level English class just to be safe. I'm not sure for other schools, but for UW Madison, we had the following English prereqs that my undergrad college's intro English class definitely did not satisfy, but most upper level classes would.

Relevant portion (Premedical Requirements):
3) Strong skills in written communication outside hard science disciplines are critical in medicine. The UW School of Medicine and Public Health therefore requires applicants to take a writing-intensive course in a humanities or social science field in order to gain these skills. Foreign language or introductory composition courses (e.g., ENG 101) will not satisfy this requirement. Courses that meet this requirement satisfy the following criteria:

• The course should be in a humanities or social sciences field (i.e., no "science writing" courses).
  • At least 30 percent of the final grade should be based on written assignments.
  • Students must be required to complete one substantial research paper (at least eight pages in length).
  • Students must be required to submit a bibliography or works cited page with their substantial research paper.
Thank you for your advice! I've decided to take an upper level English course just in case. However, since that class requires lots of reading and writing, I am going to take it my senior year, after the MCAT, so I would not be in the danger of burn out :)

Reactions: 1 user