Please help me- do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuretoothdoctor555

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very nervous about applying to dental school since everyone on here has amazing stats. I was wondering if I could get some insight on if I stand a chance or not. Below I listed my basic stats, and any help is appreciated...

DAT: 20 AA, 19 TS, 19 PAT, 22 RC
oGPA: 3.62, sGPA: 3.46, BCP: 3.44
-I have two years of doing research as an undergrad (135 hours)
-involved in many EC's during college (had two leadership roles in two of them)
~150 shadowing hours
~90 volunteering hours
~300 hours work experience

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think that you should get some interviews if you apply early and intelligently.

@futuretoothdoctor555 you definitely have a chance. As mentioned above, apply early and make sure your school list is broad. Do your research beforehand and look up average stats for matriculants at each school and you should be fine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you do! I have a friend who got in Touro last cycle with a bit lower stats.
Apply wisely! Believe in yourself!

I would think that you should get some interviews if you apply early and intelligently.
is applying in july still considered early? it seems that there are people who have there stuff ready in may...

is applying in july still considered early? it seems that there are people who have there stuff ready in may...
Yeah, most of the opinions I have heard say you are still early as long as you are submited by about mid July. If push much past that you are not giving schools enough time to look at your app before they start sending out interview requests.

Remember that SDN is not always the best representation of the average candidate. It seems like a lot of people have submitted because most people on here know to submit early but there are thousands more candidates that won't submit until August or later.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, most of the opinions I have heard say you are still early as long as you are submited by about mid July. If push much past that you are not giving schools enough time to look at your app before they start sending out interview requests.

Remember that SDN is not always the best representation of the average candidate. It seems like a lot of people have submitted because most people on here know to submit early but there are thousands more candidates that won't submit until August or later.
thanks for the information! felt like a sucker lol

I am very nervous about applying to dental school since everyone on here has amazing stats. I was wondering if I could get some insight on if I stand a chance or not. Below I listed my basic stats, and any help is appreciated...

~150 shadowing hours
~90 volunteering hours
You have good stats. I honestly don't think SDN is a representation of the average applicant at all. Just be wise when deciding which schools to apply to!

Reactions: 1 user

~150 shadowing hours
~90 volunteering hours

You are fine. You shouldn't have any problem getting into a program. Apply broadly with strong letters of recommendation. I have a oGPA 3.35 and sGPA of 2.96 - I am taking the DAT in 5 days and expect to get a 18-19 AA. The only thing above average for me is that I have 10 years on active duty and I am a mother to three kids. I have good LORs. I would trade my ECs for your grades in a heart beat, so keep your head up.

Also check out the ADEA guide book for a better idea of what 1st time enrollees stats look like.

Also check out the ADEA guide book for a better idea of what 1st time enrollees stats look like.
This is great advice! If you look at those averages you will see that you are actually above average at many schools!