Please HELP: genetics on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the list of topics tested on the DAT from the ADA, and I'm a little confused about the way genetics is listed, there are four categories: classical, molecular, human, and chromosomal.

I believe "classical" means mendelian stuff, and "molecular" is transcription/translation, but what are "human" and "chromosomal" genetics? Is this the operon, intron stuff?

PLEASE HELP

Members don't see this ad.

I think all the genetics are pretty much interrelated. I did not even pay attention to the different TYPES. Kaplan gives a wonderful description on genetics with respect to inducible and repressible systems (that would be your operon stuff you mentioned), but is very narrow with respect to transcription (this is where your introns come into play with repect to RNA processing in eukaryotic cells). Then you have the ever so fun Mendelian genetics, where Mendel's Laws, punnet squares, pedigrees, and dihybrid crosses come into play. And inbetween these is good old Hardy Weinburg genetics where he deals with unusual situations in which no real change occurs. Here you come across Hardy's laws and the equation P^2 + 2PQ +Q^2 =1, using P + Q =1 to use as a simulataneous equation. Possibly the other genetics that may be at issue in when it is related to bacterial reproduction or the transferrance of genetic info from one bacteria to another: by this I mean conjugation with a sex pilus (bacterial sex), transduction via a bacteriaophage, and transformation of naked DNA from a resistant strain into a sensitive strain to obtain genetic info for, say, resistance to certain things, among other things besides resistance. Further, terms like provirus (essentially when a plasmid or some other strip of DNA incorporates into the genome in a non-dangerous dormant state: this is the same thing really as the lysogenic cycle. Then you have the lytic phase where, for example a provius leaves dormancy and lyses the cell. that is all the genetics I can recall that we are responsibe for. If I think of anything else I will let you know.