Plastic surgery resident average week...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franceschino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether someone could give me an idea of the average schedule for a plastic surgery resident in the US.

I understand that one is scheduled to work 80 hours per week, but how are these split? How long are the oncalls?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

they are loong hours , no breaks, no time for **** piss

The real answer is that is varies

I'm a PRS resident in my middle years. I'm on a plastic related rotation and helping with rounds and call this month.

Last week I worked ~85 hours. The week before, 65.

The major thing that determines your hours is how much you get called in when you are taking home call. We take call from home for an entire weekend, Friday night through Monday morning. If trauma gets busy we can get screwed. In addition, there are plenty of face lacs, ear lacs, eyelid lacs and hand injuries that are called as consults for us to take care of. They can take 30 min to 3 hours to fix depending on how bad they are.

Other weekends you come in and round then go home and never get called.
It just varies..... the key is how busy your hand service,trauma service, and your ER is.

the other factor in all of this is that most PRS programs are small. So sometimes you may not be on call but cases are going late or you are staying for a freeflap and you need to stay and help.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your reply.

So, there is a basic schedule mon to fri +/- week/weekend on calls.

I was wondering whether I could ask a few more questions:
1) times of your basic shifts eg 6 am to 6 pm every day?
2) does that mean that you don't always work 80 hrs per week?
3) are there no in-hospital oncalls ie that you have to stay in hospital for the whole shift?
4) how many days of holidays do you guys get per year in the US?

Thanks a lot.

Thank you very much for your reply.

So, there is a basic schedule mon to fri +/- week/weekend on calls.

I was wondering whether I could ask a few more questions:
1) times of your basic shifts eg 6 am to 6 pm every day?
2) does that mean that you don't always work 80 hrs per week?
3) are there no in-hospital oncalls ie that you have to stay in hospital for the whole shift?
4) how many days of holidays do you guys get per year in the US?

Thanks a lot.

so your basic day as a junior level resident on the service starts at 0500-0530, depending on number of primary patients, number of consults, and AM didactic schedule. Things tend to wrap up in the OR around 4-5PM. There are often times case that run late or start late (implant explants, late running free flaps, hand cases, mandible fractures etc. ) For the most part though, we are out the door by 5 if not on call.

We tend to not work 80 hours every week; however, with home call we occassionally pull a 30-48 hour shift broken up by some sleep either at home or in a call room. On a bad trauma weekend you can get screwed.

On Plastic surgery there are NO in house call shifts. it is all home call.

WE get 15 weekdays of Vacation plus an associated weekend. so really 21 days which can be broken up how ever we like. we also get 5 days off at either christmas or New years.