Plainspeak-Prelim IM & TY's for IMG's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Santiago

Catheter Jockey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

How tough is it to land a Prelim IM /TY spot for a non US IMG??
Even though it seems absurd but all the people I know(non US IMG"S like me) got interviews for Cat IM programmes but found the going really difficult in cases of landing up interviews for prelim's and TY's.This really creates a hassle for all of us who are interested in PGY-2 positions.And I am not commenting on the real cushy ones but in general.
Any ideas??
And what about these prelim spots on H1 visas???
Would greatly appreciate some first hand info??

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

There is no simple answer. It's based on all the usual factors: your med school, grades, USMLE scores, letters and how competative the program is.

If you're not a competative applicant, apply to more programs and be prepared to accept offers from out-of-the-way or 2nd rate programs.

There are spots out there for everyone, it all depends on how hard you look and how far you're willing to go. There are prelim spots that go unfilled every year and stay unfilled throughout the year, just waiting for someone to fill them.

hi,

I have decent scores(235 plus).And am willing to go anywhere (even timbuctoo).Just want to get it out of the way before I start PGY 2.