Places to live with outdoor activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1981hayden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of selecting ortho residencies where I'd like to do away rotations or apply. I've searched without success for a list of cities where an outdoor enthusiast would be happy to live (places such as Salt Lake or Vermont). I've looked on SDN as well as orthogate.org and orthosurg.net with minimal success. I'm looking for places with any of the following: hiking, camping, mtn biking, rock climbing, and skiing (mostly the later 3 though). If anyone has info or could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Colorado?

Chatanooga TN is pretty close to all of those things also.

Dartmouth (NH)

Anywhere in Boston(BU, Harvard,Tufts)/Worcester MA(UMass) is a drivable distance to all of those things, although it's not in your backyard.

San Diego is drivable to Mammoth(skiing) and it's San Diego :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado (esp Colorado Springs Area)
Alaska

Check out Phoenix, its a great place for mtn biking with Sedona and Flagstaff only hours away. Also you can ride year round here (just early morning during the summer months). There is some rock climbing and skiing a couple hours north. The skiing in Flagstaff won't compare to a place like Utah but if they get a good storm it's ok.

If you do want info on local trails PM me anytime and I'll steer you to some great ones. :thumbup:

Dartmouth (NH)

Anywhere in Boston(BU, Harvard,Tufts)/Worcester MA(UMass) is a drivable distance to all of those things, although it's not in your backyard.

San Diego is drivable to Mammoth(skiing) and it's San Diego :cool:

San Diego's far from Mammoth, but it is a great city. There's ski resorts in the San Bernadinos that'd be closer than Mammoth (eg. Bear Mountain). There's also Orange County in general -- close to mountains and ocean and tons of stuff to do.

Colorado (esp Colorado Springs Area)
Alaska

No ortho programs in AK.

Check out Phoenix, its a great place for mtn biking with Sedona and Flagstaff only hours away. Also you can ride year round here (just early morning during the summer months). There is some rock climbing and skiing a couple hours north. The skiing in Flagstaff won't compare to a place like Utah but if they get a good storm it's ok.

If you do want info on local trails PM me anytime and I'll steer you to some great ones. :thumbup:

Banner Good Sam is in Phoenix, but as for Arizona, UA would be better. Tucson's a good city for outdoor stuff too. Mountain biking, road biking, swimming, tennis. I learned how to snowboard at Sunrise.

Plus it's UA and their sports... not Sparky.

(Go CATS!)

I've searched without success for a list of cities where an outdoor enthusiast would be happy to live (places such as Salt Lake or Vermont). I've looked on SDN as well as orthogate.org and orthosurg.net with minimal success. I'm looking for places with any of the following: hiking, camping, mtn biking, rock climbing, and skiing (mostly the later 3 though). If anyone has info or could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

University of Utah has, I've been told, an excellent ortho program - I believe it's where Tiger Woods had his knee surgery.

There is so much hiking, camping, mountain biking, and (especially) skiing in Utah - with Alta, Snowbird, Park City within a half hour drive from Salt Lake, you can do all those things with no problem.

Every program I looked at this year touted the stuff to do in the area, and I looked ALL over the country, but the types of activities vary. Take a look a Freida and see which states have programs, where they are in general, etc.

In general here are my opinions (my outdoorsy interests were snowboarding, bicycling, water sports and in TX I added "target shooting" since I had done that with family while I was there):

The West Coast: access to skiing/boarding, ocean, biking, everything you could want. Which is probably why tons of people want to go there. Lots of CA programs are nearish to great mountains, especially Davis. OHSU is in Portland, very outdoorsy city/state. Arizona's nice too. Lots of stuff to do in the whole state. Hawaii, 1 small program, lots of outdoor stuff. Basically need ties to Hawaii, and even if you have those, you may get rejected then unrejected and invited to interview. (West = Best area of the country).

South: Places in the South were proud of their biking opportunities, some had places to go boating/fishing/hunting. In Alabama, they said "In the winter, our airport has a direct flight to Salt Lake City, so you could leave here, at X time, and be on the slopes by like Y time (time for a decent amount of skiing), and return Sunday night."

NE: skiing, biking. But those are usually what I asked about.

Midwest: "skiing" -- don't believe them. it's not real. Mountain biking's decent and road biking's excellent.

I'm in the process of selecting ortho residencies where I'd like to do away rotations or apply. I've searched without success for a list of cities where an outdoor enthusiast would be happy to live (places such as Salt Lake or Vermont). I've looked on SDN as well as orthogate.org and orthosurg.net with minimal success. I'm looking for places with any of the following: hiking, camping, mtn biking, rock climbing, and skiing (mostly the later 3 though). If anyone has info or could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Im not sure how you feel about Pennsylvania, but St. Luke's Bethlehem just started an Ortho program this year (2009 match). They are located in Lehigh Valley, near allentown and about an hour away from the Pocono Mtns. Apparently there is good skiing there and hiking can be done in the area near the hospital. Its a very beautiful and scenic area, I really liked the surrounding area when I interviewed there. Im a big skier myself, so im hoping its a good as people say it is...considering I ranked them #1 (for Gen Surg).

http://www.mystlukesonline.org/for-...hopaedic-surgery-residency-program/index.aspx

And heres a little more about the surrounding area.....

http://www.mystlukesonline.org/for-...ducation/living-working-in-lehigh-valley.aspx

Good Luck

Last edited:
Apparently there is good skiing there and hiking can be done in the area near the hospital.

I'm a big skiier too and I'm from that area. If by good skiing, you mean, some of the worst skiing in the country, then I agree. You might as well just save your money and take a few trips to somewhere decent. 30" fresh a year! 100% snowmaking! Above freezing almost every day! So many people you can't even ski a line! That's the poconos.

The direct flights operated by Delta to SLC are really expensive. They really gouge. Maybe you'll make enough as a resident not to care?

I dunno, in surg you may not care that much. I ran into a gen surg resident at Alta the other day. At about 100 hours a week I can't say I'd do much skiing, and neither does he.

From a few miles from Snowbird...

N

I'm a big skiier too and I'm from that area. If by good skiing, you mean, some of the worst skiing in the country, then I agree. You might as well just save your money and take a few trips to somewhere decent. 30" fresh a year! 100% snowmaking! Above freezing almost every day! That's the poconos.

From a few miles from Snowbird...

N

LOL...well thanks for the update. I had no idea it was that bad....never been to the Pocono area, only Bethlehem for the interview. I'm a big Colorado guy (Steamboat, Vail, Telluride)...so I guess i would be pretty disappointed....or just bored out of my mind....:sleep:

I wil take your advice.....save up and go somewhere I know i will enjoy....:thumbup:

Last edited:
Yeah man, sorry to break it to you. Skiing in the Poconos is quite poor. You will be disappointed compared to Colorado. Though at least you won't have I-70 and ridiculous Summit Country touristyness/prices to deal with.

It always makes me angry when people who don't ski try to sell downhill skiing in crappy locations like the Poconos. Not you, you just didn't know. But Philly people try to sell the skiing in the Poconos and sometimes I'm ready to fall over. It also drives me nuts when people say "We have skiing! There's cross-country here!" Cross-country... shudderrrrrrrr.... ugghhhhhhhhhh all pain, no gain.

LOL...well thanks for the update. I had no idea it was that bad....never been to the Pocono area, only Bethlehem for the interview. I'm a big Colorado guy (Steamboat, Vail, Telluride)...so I guess i would be pretty disappointed....or just bored out of my mind....:sleep:

I wil take your advice.....save up and go somewhere I know i will enjoy....:thumbup:

Yes. I grew up skiing Mammoth Mountain, and I have snowboarded a bunch of places out West, in CO and France. I took my board with me to WI for med school (granted, the East will be better than the midwest), and I'd rather just wait to go boarding on a real mountain. I turned my old snowboard into a sled.

Yeah man, sorry to break it to you. Skiing in the Poconos is quite poor. You will be disappointed compared to Colorado. Though at least you won't have I-70 and ridiculous Summit Country touristyness/prices to deal with.

It always makes me angry when people who don't ski try to sell downhill skiing in crappy locations like the Poconos. Not you, you just didn't know. But Philly people try to sell the skiing in the Poconos and sometimes I'm ready to fall over. It also drives me nuts when people say "We have skiing! There's cross-country here!" Cross-country... shudderrrrrrrr.... ugghhhhhhhhhh all pain, no gain.

Yes. I grew up skiing Mammoth Mountain, and I have snowboarded a bunch of places out West, in CO and France. I took my board with me to WI for med school (granted, the East will be better than the midwest), and I'd rather just wait to go boarding on a real mountain. I turned my old snowboard into a sled.

:lol:

Well I really appreciate the update guys....its good to know about the Poconos...this way I wont be unpleasently suprised when I show up there one weekend....:wtf:

I guess the only good thing is my fiance needs some help with her skiing, so that may not be a bad place to get her started.

Well, in the end....St. Lukes still has an ortho program...but maybe the outdoor activities arent exactly what you are looking for. Becasue now Im afraid their hiking is going to be the local childrens sledding hill....:smack:

Well I really appreciate the update guys....its good to know about the Poconos...this way I wont be unpleasently suprised when I show up there one weekend....:wtf:

I guess the only good thing is my fiance needs some help with her skiing, so that may not be a bad place to get her started.

Well, in the end....St. Lukes still has an ortho program...but maybe the outdoor activities arent exactly what you are looking for. Becasue now Im afraid their hiking is going to be the local childrens sledding hill....:smack:

Sledding on a snowboard is great; I gave up sledding on real sleds. I sit on it between the bindings, and I go really fast. I wouldn't do it to my new board though, or if it was my only board. So now I have my real snowboard for real mountains and my board for sledding. =)

Sledding on a snowboard is great; I gave up sledding on real sleds. I sit on it between the bindings, and I go really fast. I wouldn't do it to my new board though, or if it was my only board. So now I have my real snowboard for real mountains and my board for sledding. =)

Although Im a skiier, I may have to invest in a snowboard for this very reason.....:eyebrow:

Wisconsin has good everything on your list except skiing. There's amazing fishing here, mountain biking is very good and the road biking is even better. There are state parks all around to camp at and a few very notable places to rock climb at as well through out the state. Especially up north; although not as populated a good trip up there is incredible fun if you're an outdoors man.

You're right about the Midwest not being Colorado. So few places are! I will say that I have been placing people in Ortho Surgery in Northern Michigan and they absolutely love the outdoors available to them. National forests, biking, hiking, (Midwest) skiing, dog sledding, etc. Just an hour from the Upper Peninsula with Pictured Rocks waterfalls. It is gorgeous. My family and I go up there 5 - 6 times a year.