Pl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentai

Reaction score
I was accepted to Touro and NYU. Because of my living situation, the cost of attendance would be very close between the two schools.
I would like to be in a school with easier access to professors, emphasis on hands on learning, opportunities to take specialization labs during the 4 year program, strong prep for the boards.
Please share your views on which of the two schools would be a better fit for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to Touro and NYU. Because of my living situation, the cost of attendance would be very close between the two schools.
I would like to be in a school with easier access to professors, emphasis on hands on learning, opportunities to take specialization labs during the 4 year program, strong prep for the boards.
Please share your views on which of the two schools would be a better fit for me?
what is "very close" in actual dollars?

This is an easy one: Touro. I would not even consider NYU even if it was my only choice. NYU has so much problems. There is so much chaos at NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
New Yorker here. I would choose NYU if they are similar in cost. Touro's dental school was established in 2016 and they did their recent entering class dirty by sending them out of NY in late spring. I can't speak to accessibility or quality of professors/dentists in class, for I go to neither, but NYU's faculty is certainly more established. Dentists in my area are mostly from Columbia and NYU my majority. Everyone knows those two. NYU gets a lot of hate but it's still considered the best (in some areas) or second best college in NYC. You could specialize in either Touro or NYU if you find the right externships. NYU has classes exposing their students to the specialities early on if you real the curriculum. Touro, not so much. "Seminar" gives me the vibe of not comprehensive.

One additional thing to note is you might get more care from Touro at face value, administration I'm not sure due to the recent incident. As I go to uni in the city too, there is no hand holding in NYC. If you can't handle that as a student then go to Touro.

Reactions: 1 user
New Yorker here. I would choose NYU if they are similar in cost. Touro's dental school was established in 2016 and they did their recent entering class dirty by sending them out of NY in late spring. I can't speak to accessibility or quality of professors/dentists in class, for I go to neither, but NYU's faculty is certainly more established. Dentists in my area are mostly from Columbia and NYU my majority. Everyone knows those two. NYU gets a lot of hate but it's still considered the best (in some areas) or second best college in NYC. You could specialize in either Touro or NYU if you find the right externships. NYU has classes exposing their students to the specialities early on if you real the curriculum. Touro, not so much. "Seminar" gives me the vibe of not comprehensive.

One additional thing to note is you might get more care from Touro at face value, administration I'm not sure due to the recent incident. As I go to uni in the city too, there is no hand holding in NYC. If you can't handle that as a student then go to Touro.
can you please elaborate on the recent incident you mentione?

This is an easy one: Touro. I would not even consider NYU even if it was my only choice. NYU has so much problems. There is so much chaos at NYU.
Thank you for your response! I learned that Tuoro‘s fall 2024 class will double in size to 210 students. I am now concerned about the school being able to offer the same attention to students. Appreciate your thoughts on this concern.

Thank you for your response! I learned that Tuoro‘s fall 2024 class will double in size to 210 students. I am now concerned about the school being able to offer the same attention to students. Appreciate your thoughts on this concern.
So you’re going to the school with 400 students per year? 🤦‍♂️

I swear, people post these stupid threads and already have their mind made up.

doubled to 200...

I think you're stupid for taking your time to make that derogatory remark. Some students like a large class size and others like a much smaller one. That's for op and whoever is reading the thread to decide.

I read your comments for the past year and I admire your activity on sdn. I'm of the personal belief that anyone can succeed in dental school if they have a plan and work within their finances. I'm sure you believe the same. op might be able to afford touro or nyu debt free and may thrive in a large class size. op and MANY OTHERS. bottom line: make a budget and make sure the school is a good fit.

Reactions: 1 users

I wouldn’t rely on this quoted post above. NYU has so many problems and the students there feel unheard. I would rather be in a class of 200 than 400. The COA at NYU is insane. Why would anyone want to be come a dentist for 850k? Trust me, I would go with Touro. The quality of dental education at NYU is subpar and is not worth the high price tag.

Reactions: 1 users