Pittsburgh or Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawkapte

MPH applicant
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They cost almost the same, rank almost the same.
Heard a lot about faculty at Yale. Dont know much about Pittsburgh.
Assistantships and cost of living are important issues
I am favoring Pittsburgh -
Though I'l like to hear what ppl say

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm actually thinking of attending med school at Pitt. It was absolutely amazing, and I fell in love with the students, school, and city while I was there (despite the snow showers :)). I was accepted there for graduate school as well, but they were highly disorganized and I wasn't too impressed with them (but that was back in 99). I know that the school has a good reputation in general, but not 100% sure about the school of public health. Since both are similar in cost and reputation, then you should look into whether the schools offer the program that you're most interested in, research opportunities, success of graduates, and where you'd want to live (East Coast New Haven over Midwestern Pittsburgh). I'm a little biased toward Pitt as you can tell, so it's ultimately up to you to decide which school will best suit your lifestyle and goals.

Best,
H&T

I don't know much about the program at Pitt, but the MPH at Yale was well worth it. The faculty is outstanding, accessible, and very focused on the students. There is a lot of interdisciplinary faculty crossover with the law school, the business school, and the medical school as well. And as unfortunate as it might be, most people (even many in the field) know a school's name, and not it's rank.

Now if you are talking quality of life in New Haven vs. Pittsburgh, that's a different story... but if you can survive New Haven for two years then I'd say go to Yale. Contact me if you have questions about the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
the Cost.... I had almost decided that I will go to Pitt. Until they told me to show 80k USD as cost of study there in terms of finances available to me. As an international student, thats like lifetime savings of 2 families! thats crazy. while i loved the course, i cant really think this is realistic!!!
they wont even offer me an abridged course considering my previous med background!

Yeah, Pitt isn't the best on financial aid. I'm already $40K in debt from grad school, so I feel your pain. If Yale is hooking you up... definitely go to New Haven - esp. with the good things that the previous poster had to say about the program.

If Pitt was out because of the 80K price, then you'll probably rule out Yale too. I don't know if Yale is much better with aid for foreign students, but when I completed the program it came to about $70,000 for the two years.