Pitt vs brown vs Cincinnati vs UVM vs 6 others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollowJ@1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, grateful to have 10 acceptances for the cycle. I am not too sure of what I want to do, but I am interested in ophthalmology and surgery, followed by pediatrics. I am looking for advice on narrowing my acceptance’s down to three. Please let me know if I missed anything in my pros/cons list or if the other schools I mention have something unique. PLZ DO NOT QUOTE. Thank you!

UPITT

Pros:
-P/F preclinical
-Ranked 13th so prestige within medicine
-1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
-Feel like I would fit in great with the city culture after visiting (blue collar vibe and so am I)
-1.5 hours away from my partner
-Rotations at UPMC hospital, which I was told is just behind Boston as a hospital system
-#5 in nation for NIH funding and strong research support with required project and research advisor
-no car
-great match list
-lots of ranked hospital systems
-great interview day and students seemed happy

Cons:
-Flex days still have to be productive and fit within predesignated guidelines
-Lectures are required from 8am-12pm
-~400k price tag, this is max amount for COA and could be lower based on lifestyle choices
-10 hours from family
-no friends in area

Brown:
Pros:
-Been to providence a lot and like it
-medical humanities focus is awesome and would want to do some type of research in it
-very community focused
-friends in the area
-cool electives around religion and medicine
-ivy name
-great match list
-p/f preclinical
-1.5 yr preclinical
-great interview day and students seemed happy

Cons:
-Younger class with a lot of students from PLME
-4 hours from family
-not as strong of a hospital system or research as Pitt by a lot it seems. Also weaker than Cincinnati.
-lower ranking (32)
-need a car
-8hr from partner
-NO FA PACKAGE YET, tho i imagine it will be the same as Pitt. Does brown match scholarships?

Cincinnati:
Pros:
-#1 children’s hospital
-NO FA PACKAGE YET but got 80k scholarship putting max COA at 220k given qualifying for instate after M1 year, and could be lower based on lifestyle choices
-solid hospital systems and research I believe
-great interview day

Cons:
-13 hrs from family
-5 hr from partner
-internal ranking so no tru P/F
-know nothing about Cincinnati or preclinical length?
-lower ranking (35)
-need a car
-match list not as strong as brown or Pitt
-no friends in area

UVM:
Pros:
-1 hr from family
-friends in Burlington and area
-260k COA, this is max amount for COA and could be lower based on lifestyle choices and potential scholarships.
-tru P/F and for clerkships too!

Cons:
-been in VT my whole life and not a big fan of Burlington.
-8 hr from partner
-weakest hospital system and research out of the 4
-lowest ranking (65)
-need a car
-Longer preclinical than Pitt and brown
-weakest match list
-rough interview day vibes

Other acceptances on the table but have been waiting for FA packages and scholarships:
  • Rochester (400k COA, could be less depending on lifestyle choices)
  • Creighton (10k scholarship but still 420 COA, could be less depending on lifestyle choices)
  • Western Michigan (400k COA, could be less depending on lifestyle choices)
  • Quinnipiac ( NO FA PACKAGE)
  • Belmont (NO FA PACKAGE)
  • MCW (NO FA PACKAGE)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey Hollow, congrats on the super successful cycle! As a fellow Vermonter who doesn’t like Burlington I can sympathize with your view of UVM. Just FYI the preclinical portion of the curriculum is 1.5 years at UVM.

Personally, I would choose between Pitt or Brown (if you want to stay in the Northeast for residency). Cincinnati is a great school at a great price, but from your pros/cons it sounds like the least support. If you pursue something competitive, the cost difference shouldn’t matter too much. That being said, you are clearly a strong student and could match into any specialty from any of these options! I just think Pitt would give you the most academic and research support plus a strong name in medicine

Reactions: 2 users
I would choose solely on how close you’ll be to your partner 😯 but that’s just me 😏

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Hollow, congrats on the super successful cycle! As a fellow Vermonter who doesn’t like Burlington I can sympathize with your view of UVM. Just FYI the preclinical portion of the curriculum is 1.5 years at UVM.

Personally, I would choose between Pitt or Brown (if you want to stay in the Northeast for residency). Cincinnati is a great school at a great price, but from your pros/cons it sounds like the least support. If you pursue something competitive, the cost difference shouldn’t matter too much. That being said, you are clearly a strong student and could match into any specialty from any of these options! I just think Pitt would give you the most academic and research support plus a strong name in medicine
Thanks ACKjp! Really grateful to get this perspective from a fellow Vermonter :). Furthermore, did not know about the 1.5 preclinical, so good to know! I hope your choices are going well too!

As someone currently on the WL at UVM, and who’s never been to Vermont, why don’t you like Burlington? Just curious

As someone currently on the WL at UVM, and who’s never been to Vermont, why don’t you like Burlington? Just curious
Very expensive housing for small city of 40k. Rent is more than places like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati. Lots of small crime like car break ins. My bike was stolen and gf’s car has been broken into twice. Police shortages as well. Not a great night life as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Pitt sounds like your best option.

I graduated from UVM in 2022 and visited VT a few times a year since then, and I rarely go downtown when I visit because of an increased level of crime, exploding homeless population, and the exiting of businesses. Growing up, I would never have thought I'd feel uneasy in Burlington, but the last time I was there it definitely felt different. The police have been severely defunded, and as Hollow pointed out, the crime rate has skyrocketed. I know of tons of businesses that have left the area as they feel unsupported by the city government.

Last summer I visited with my dog and we went down to Church street to see some friends. She was unfortunately attacked by a homeless group's dog in broad daylight on Church. Luckily she was relatively unscathed, but I guarantee that it would not have happened just a few years ago. It is really unfortunate because Burlington is a great city in an awesome location; the food is great, nightlife is better than expected (at least when I was there as an undergrad), and the close proximity to the outdoors is a huge bonus. I hope it turns around soon, but I do not see the current city government doing much to change Burlington's course.

Sorry for the rant, it's just unfortunate to see a place I love go downhill so quickly. Vermont as a whole is a great state, but I don't know of many Vermonters that are big fans of Burlington anymore. If you do end up going to UVM, feel free to message me and I can give you some great recs around the central VT area!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

@1692020135420, I saw on the help me decide posts that you are a Pitt M4. Would love your opinion on above. Thanks!​

I would drop the "depending on lifestyle choices" mentality - who knows what repayment programs will be in place when you graduate, but how much is 10-20k really going to matter? Also, unless you live on/near campus (which a good amount of students do), you will need a car for certain rotations at Pitt in which you'll need to get there before buses start running.

I think the Pitt name will do you the most favors out of these, but that might not matter if you end up in pediatrics or something less competitive. It actually sounds like you're most excited about Brown though - closer to family, friends in the area, strong program overall, seems like you vibe with the culture in that area.

You're going to make friends and find "your people" wherever you go, so I'd think about your long-term goals and ultimately just trust your gut. No bad decisions here. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I would drop the "depending on lifestyle choices" mentality - who knows what repayment programs will be in place when you graduate, but how much is 10-20k really going to matter? Also, unless you live on/near campus (which a good amount of students do), you will need a car for certain rotations at Pitt in which you'll need to get there before buses start running.

I think the Pitt name will do you the most favors out of these, but that might not matter if you end up in pediatrics or something less competitive. It actually sounds like you're most excited about Brown though - closer to family, friends in the area, strong program overall, seems like you vibe with the culture in that area.

You're going to make friends and find "your people" wherever you go, so I'd think about your long-term goals and ultimately just trust your gut. No bad decisions here. Good luck!
Thanks for your input!