physics in undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMPOWERurSELF!

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergrad student who's intrigued by oncology/radiation oncology. Having a role in helping patients deal with cancer diagnosis and treatment seems like a very difficult, humbling, and rewarding experience! My only problem is that I've struggled in physics as an undergrad so far. For those in the field: have you found that you have needed a strong background to excel in your specialty? If so, can you give me any tips on studying/understanding physics that has helped you as an undergrad? Any feedback or help is very welcome...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You dont really need a strong physics background for radonc or radiology. Medical physicists/engineers are the ones that design the scanners and really design the pulse sequences and scan protocols used.

the rads/radonc people just use and implement what the physics gurus build.

You need to know some basic stuff about radiation dosage and radiation biology, but you can learn that stuff in a day. The computer does all the real computational stuff.

What makes someone a radonc is educated guessing and experience in determining how many types of which kind of radiation should be applied to different tumors in the brain/body.

Its 5% math/physics, 95% biology/anatomy

I have to interject here: while you absolutely do not need to be a physics maven to be a rad onc doc, you caanot learn it in a day. In fact while I am hardly a physicist, I have to take excetion with the previous post's decription of what you need to know.

The phyics is first of all not at all like undergrad. This is a specific body of knowledge that involves knowing the relevant interactions on a atomic level that make radiation have an effect (its all dependant upon energy, charge, electron density, density corefficents). i.e., how is radiation therepeutic? The second issue then is understanding that which- on a physics level- effects dose as you wish to deliver it to a patient. How do you tailor it? Give a machine output of x, what will be you dose? With a wedge? Without one. With a change in your distance the patient? With a change not in your distance to the patient but with a chage in point of pescription etc.

Its a little hard to describe to someone who's not already doing it.

Its not hard per se; they dont expect you to be a physicist, but they do expect you to be *very* well versed in what you are to learn during residency. It requires learning the first time, and reviewing each subsequent year as your exams and in-service come up. I'd say that if you had no physics training whatsoever, and wanted to know how long it would take you to learn, if you dedicated yourself each night to stuy, it would take about a month. (this of course does not include your radiobio or your oncology). And then you'd need to review it. Rarely does it "Take" the first time for good. But its much easier each time around (two weeks to review, one week to review etc).

But a day? I wish.