physics degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gambino

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone out there can tell me how useful my MS degree in medical radiation physics would be if i went for rad. onc. ? would it help overshadow some other potential weaknesses in a residency application ?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it certainly would be a nice addition; whether it can 'overshadow" other issues depends on the issues and the severity. its really really tough right now. BUt you never know.
steph

What credentials are required to be a radiation physicist? Do you need a masters or Ph.D. in medical physics? Or, can you just pass the credentialling exam and then work as a radiation physicist. Is it possible for a radiation oncologist to simultaneously function as a radiation physicist, say in a smaller community setting that could not afford to pay both positions? Sorry for all the questions but just wondering if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
you need at least an MS degree in radiation physics to work in medical physics. you should also pass the board exam after a few years in the field. i guess it would be possible for one to handle the physics and oncology aspects of treatment but that may depend on policy at the given site. hope that helps.

as a resident you couldnt be both a medical physicist and resident. Training wont allow at and I suspect a conflict of interest (you can't approve your own plans). However certainlly your skills would be valued well.