Physician shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoHighways

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it actually exist, or is the problem being framed incorrectly? I tend to think we have far too many people that are unwell. I honestly don’t remember the last I saw a physician for anything relating to my own health. Can the status quo in medicine continue? While we in the industry benefit from droves of sick people seeking care, it comes at a huge cost for the rest of society.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people just stir up topics for the hell of it

It certainly explains what I feel is a lack of emphasis on prevention. We have an epidemic of lifestyle diseases and I see very little initiative being taken to change the status quo. It’s not a partisan issue either. It’s a common sense approach to reducing health care costs. Keep people from eating themselves to death, and complex and costly comorbidities associated with metabolic syndrome are not nearly as prevalent (heart disease/failure, MI, stroke, renal failure, neuropathy, peripheral vascular disease, increased risk of cancer, etc).

Last edited:
It certainly explains what I feel is a lack of emphasis on prevention. We have an epidemic of lifestyle diseases and I see very little initiative being taken to change the status quo. It’s not a partisan issue either. It’s a common sense approach to reducing health care costs. Keep people from eating themselves to death, and complex and costly comorbidities associated with metabolic syndrome are not nearly as prevalent (heart disease/failure, MI, stroke, renal failure, neuropathy, peripheral vascular disease, increased risk of cancer, etc).

There is an emphasis on prevention, people just don't listen. Especially when you have HAES and FAs running around telling people it's okay to be obese. Physicians have been telling people to lose weight for years. Weight loss is the number one intervention to prevent preventable diseases. Obesity is, for the most part, a choice, and due to a lack of personal responsibility.

There has been initiative. The general public is just to fat and lazy to do anything about their own health. It makes it seem like there is a status quo and that physicians are profiting from sick people. They are because who else will save them? They won't save themselves so someone has to do it, they may as well get compensated appropriately for their efforts.