"Physician assistants want state to loosen restrictions"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Splenda88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

If NPs are in independent in half of the states, I guess it's fair for PA to have the same privilege. After all, they overall have better training than NPs.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Guess no one cares about actual quality patient healthcare anymore. lmbo this country is so comfortable with playing with the health of patients as long as someone can stroke their ego it seems.

Reactions: 3 users
The thing is, PAs HAVE to push for this to stay relevant since NPs are getting independence basically everywhere.

I'd still hire PAs over NPs any day, and I don't think many of them want independence, but I think they're trying to survive here as a profession.

Definitely a crappy situation though

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is something they have to do. I’m looking for a mid level right now and primarily looking for an NP because they can be in clinic working independently while I’m in the OR or during admin time. In my state, PAs can’t do that which greatly limits how I can use them.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Between this and states opening up pathways for practice without a U.S. residency, certain markets (ie major metros) are going to become saturated very quickly

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I think this is something they have to do. I’m looking for a mid level right now and primarily looking for an NP because they can be in clinic working independently while I’m in the OR or during admin time. In my state, PAs can’t do that which greatly limits how I can use them.
You have to be physically in the office for PAs?

You have to be physically in the office for PAs?
That’s my understanding for my state. NPs here can see and bill independently but I don’t think PAs can. To be honest I haven’t delved too deeply into the weeds on it because here it’s especially hard to recruit a PA for what I need. Most of the new PA grads looking to join surgical practices want to get OR time and that’s just not what I need for my kind of practice.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately, this is physicians fault. PAs initially didn’t go after independence like NPs because they were never supposed to. The result? We ended up hiring more NPs because there was so much less administrative burden compared to PAs.

I’ve heard can even be a huge hurdle for a PA to change supervising physicians within the same group when their current one leaves or retires.

This move also benefits administrators because it’s easier to just throw someone in clinic who’s “independent” and have us sign off on their notes even if we’ve never met them and that clinic is in another county.

• Care
Unfortunately, this is physicians fault. PAs initially didn’t go after independence like NPs because they were never supposed to. The result? We ended up hiring more NPs because there was so much less administrative burden compared to PAs.

I’ve heard can even be a huge hurdle for a PA to change supervising physicians within the same group when their current one leaves or retires.

This move also benefits administrators because it’s easier to just throw someone in clinic who’s “independent” and have us sign off on their notes even if we’ve never met them and that clinic is in another county.
Came here to say this. This is the fault of physicians and administrators. PAs can't take independent call without a backup, as an example, so they provide minimal stress relief for a group to hire compared to a NP. This leads to the obvious choice, for practical purposes, being the NP. There's a lot of things PAs cannot do under the law that NPs can by virtue of their independent status, and groups and admin want the most flexible possible hire instead of the one with the best training.

Came here to say this. This is the fault of physicians and administrators. PAs can't take independent call without a backup, as an example, so they provide minimal stress relief for a group to hire compared to a NP. This leads to the obvious choice, for practical purposes, being the NP. There's a lot of things PAs cannot do under the law that NPs can by virtue of their independent status, and groups and admin want the most flexible possible hire instead of the one with the best training.
I would beg to differ

• Haha
I would beg to differ
I prefer the individuals with the best training, but many lazy attendings of old would rather hire an NP than a PA to avoid night call or odd staffing hours. And for organizations, well... Why would a hospital pay a PA and a supervisor when they could just have a NP?

PA is borrowing a page from NP since there are over 300 PA programs in the country. Let's flood the market with midlevels so we can put physicians out of business. NY and Pennsylvania have over 60 PA programs combined. We can no longer stop the train.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only surgical specialties and pathology will be safe in 7+ years

Why pathology
It's hard to learn pathology. You can't look at what people do and just do the same thing.

Based on my experience as a former RN who did a whole semester of NP school, the vast a majority of nurses want easy and quick things.

It's hard to learn pathology. You can't look at what people do and just do the same thing.

Based on my experience as a former RN who did a whole semester of NP school, the vast a majority of nurses want easy and quick things.
Do you say not radiology because of AI?

I would say radiology as well, but it's behind pathology.
Midlevels lack of training, in basic sciences, and quite frankly clinical medicine will be documented forever (literally) and radiologists will make a killing as expert witnesses in the future

Pathologist assistants already exists. It’s a masters degree where that’s all they learn. They’re not the I wanna be a “Provider” type. With them in the picture, probably no market for regular PAs and NPs in that field.

I'm in an independent state and constantly seeing the mistakes NPs make with patients. Even as an M4 these mistakes are quite often obvious. In the past year: 85 yo with known orthostasis prescribed anticholinergic for back pain -> falls the first day taking it and gets a subdural, 67 yo with CLL has a blast crisis and gets sent home with tamiflu, 47 yo obese woman with CHF and a potassium of 2.8 gets sent home on doubled up Lasix and no potassium repletion. The only reason patients aren't suffering en masse is that at some point an adult, usually an ED physician, steers the car back on the road. The physician also does this without being able to bill more than a standard visit.

I still don't understand why we don't have something between NP/PA and MD. It is impractical to have physicians with 7 years of intense postgraduate training handling a rinky-dink urgent care (vs. being on-call as backup for someone with enough experience to actually effectively triage). However, we have no one with adequate training to actually triage patients effectively, which is actually a highly complex task. There is such a massive gap between "top 5% of their college class, > 90th percentile on an already highly self-selected entrance exam, 4 years of life-engulfing school, and 3 years of training so intense congress had to step in to cool things down," vs. most NPs, who are, frankly, entirely average people doing a 2 year, possibly online, possibly part-time, program that's so minimally intensive in comparison. It's hard to say out loud without being pretentious and insulting, but it's entirely true, and patient's don't deserve to be pawned off to subpar providers to save the CEO a buck. MDs and NPs are cut from a different cloth entirely. Their baseline ability level is miles apart to start, and their dedication is on different planets. I haven't met a single NP who cares about more than salary, quality of life, and location. There's no appreciation for pathophysiology and absolutely zero desire to learn above and beyond what's required to scrape through a day in the clinic or wards.

NPs and PAs should work only under close supervision. For experienced midlevels at the top of their class, there should be something in-between (e.g., additional 1.5-2 years of residency-level training) that's regulated by physician organizations to ensure high quality/sufficient intensity and standards. Graduates of these programs could then take on a more independent role which always includes, at least, a physician on-call. NPs/PAs in their current state of ability and training practicing independently is, quite frankly, pure insanity.

Also, a great way to express this to laypeople is, "Midlevels practicing independently is the shrinkflation of medicine. You get a lesser product for the same price, and the corporation keeps the difference." I think a lot of people believe that midlevels will make medicine cheaper, and they can relate more to a midlevel, so they root against physicians. Once they understand there's really nothing in it for them except care from someone undertrained so that some CEO can get a bigger bonus, it starts to come into focus.