Physican Anesthesia Group, Santa Monica, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be retired in five years not licking the arsehole of some arsehole

Reactions: 2 users
The groups around SoCal are struggling to hire. Some (good groups) are offering short partnership tracks (2 years), and even 100% partner income from the start. It’s a very competitive market favoring the candidate right now.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
The groups around SoCal are struggling to hire. Some (good groups) are offering short partnership tracks (2 years), and even 100% partner income from the start. It’s a very competitive market favoring the candidate right now.

At a time when multiple groups are offering 6 figure signing bonuses, pay parity from the start and one year to voting rights

Reactions: 1 user
I am aware of one (good) AMC job offering 100k to show up. I talked with a bunch of great groups and this was definitely an outlier.

I am aware of one (good) AMC job offering 100k to show up. I talked with a bunch of great groups and this was definitely an outlier.
I'm also aware of an AMC offering that type of sign-on, but when I spoke to people in said AMC I'm not sure "good" is the adjective I'd use. Maybe that differs based on subspecialty

I'm also aware of an AMC offering that type of sign-on, but when I spoke to people in said AMC I'm not sure "good" is the adjective I'd use. Maybe that differs based on subspecialty
up to 150k (extra 50k if u go to one of their job fairs). This speaks to the times… AMC offering 100k+ to get you.

The ball is in the individual physician’s side of the court.

up to 150k (extra 50k if u go to one of their job fairs). This speaks to the times… AMC offering 100k+ to get you.

Why are they so eager for you to go to their job fair vs just offering 130k flat etc?

For that 150K, how many years do you have to stay? 3 years will be no good.

Members don't see this ad :)
For that 150K, how many years do you have to stay? 3 years will be no good.

At least. If not 5. It will be something like, 150K prorated sign on bonus. And pay back with Tax if not worked full.

I tried to negotiate the sign on bonus as a retention bonus, rather than getting it up front, I’d get it at the year end. They ain’t bitting. Just tells me they’re using every tricks in the book to get you to stay.

$50K - 40% tax = 30K in pocket.
They want full 50K back, you just lost 20K in a quick game of bullshlt

Reactions: 1 users
At least. If not 5. It will be something like, 150K prorated sign on bonus. And pay back with Tax if not worked full.

I tried to negotiate the sign on bonus as a retention bonus, rather than getting it up front, I’d get it at the year end. They ain’t bitting. Just tells me they’re using every tricks in the book to get you to stay.

Yep. This right here. It’s in their interest to get you and lock you in versus you having the ability to bail after 6 months (which I’ve heard someone did in one AMCs case. Dude literally didn’t last a year and was happier at his next gig).

If it were my only option I’d take the bonus and put it on a money market and not touch it. If it doesn’t work out, have the money ready and negotiate an exit or bail. If it work out, spend the interest you earn on the 150k after 3 years.

Im very hesitant to sign on bonuses in our field

Predatory private practice groups screw you behind closed doors creating the rise of the AMC that at least screws you in public.

Reactions: 5 users
How do locum companies get you licensed, credentialed in 2 weeks? I got an email from a big recruiting company stating that. I get it that emergency credentialing can be quick, but licensing????

How do locum companies get you licensed, credentialed in 2 weeks? I got an email from a big recruiting company stating that. I get it that emergency credentialing can be quick, but licensing????

It may be state dependent….. or you can always ask locum salesperson …

When you pay it back it will be deducted from your taxable income. So basically it's an interest free loan

When you pay it back it will be deducted from your taxable income. So basically it's an interest free loan
It has tax consequence. Say your salary is 350K. 150K was given upfront. Your total income will be 500K in year 1.

Year 2 you leave. You pay back 100K. Yearly income 350-100= 250K.

Tax from 400K + 350K is lower than 500K + 250K (around 9K difference in CA)

If you are required to pay back all 150K, it becomes 500K + 200K. You are totally F$$ked.

It has tax consequence. Say your salary is 350K. 150K was given upfront. Your total income will be 500K in year 1.

If you are required to pay back all 150K, it becomes 500K + 200K. You are totally F$$ked.
Cant you just amend your income tax return for the prior year?

Depends entirely on when you sign and how much you made each year. So there are scenarios where it could help or hurt you

New grad....year 1 minimal salary since it's a partial year as an attentding...tax on that 150k is low

Year 3..full attending salary minus the 150k..reduced tax burden

This was sent to me and asked to post anonymously:

“Multiple ICs (something like 50+) left before me after a few months or a few years. Some were let go, some left voluntarily. It is a revolving door there.

Plus I heard horror stories of ICs being strung along for 5 years and then not being voted in as partner. After i left, an IC was strung along for 6 years and not voted in as partner.

Lastly the vibe of the group is unhappy and there is a weird sense of paranoia. There is a lot of gossip and rumors. Apparently two partners have committed suicide.

I know this will come across as me being bitchy or whiny, but the fact of the matter is many many ICs left Bayside.”

This was sent to me and asked to post anonymously:

“Multiple ICs (something like 50+) left before me after a few months or a few years. Some were let go, some left voluntarily. It is a revolving door there.

Plus I heard horror stories of ICs being strung along for 5 years and then not being voted in as partner. After i left, an IC was strung along for 6 years and not voted in as partner.

Lastly the vibe of the group is unhappy and there is a weird sense of paranoia. There is a lot of gossip and rumors. Apparently two partners have committed suicide.

I know this will come across as me being bitchy or whiny, but the fact of the matter is many many ICs left Bayside.”
Honest, **** groups like this. Hope they go under and the old predatory partners without actual clinical skills can’t find jobs.

Reactions: 3 users