Physical Therapy 2nd semester uncertainty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTAide2DPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my 2nd semester this week and everything that could go wrong, went wrong. My lowest grade going into finals was a B and the rest were around A- territory. Now that the semester is over I have a C+ as my lowest grade and my cumulative GPA is at 2.92

I'm already on academic warning because of the B- I received in anatomy over the summer. And it was our lone course.

The rules state you go on probation if you get a C+/C, or your cumulative GPA isn't above 3.0. But nothing is stated in the handbook about what happens if they both happen in one semester. I've emailed my advisor and another member of the department earlier today but neither have responded back. I'm extremely concerned that they may dismiss me from the program. One C+ shouldn't be the death of me, especially since they would skip academic probation and place me from academic warning to dismissing me.

It's especially frustrating because I've had 5 courses where I was 1 point from a higher final grade, 4 of which I was within 0.5.

I know I have to kick ass next semester and I'm prepared to make several changes and learn from this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I finished my 2nd semester this week and everything that could go wrong, went wrong. My lowest grade going into finals was a B and the rest were around A- territory. Now that the semester is over I have a C+ as my lowest grade and my cumulative GPA is at 2.92

I'm already on academic warning because of the B- I received in anatomy over the summer. And it was our lone course.

The rules state you go on probation if you get a C+/C, or your cumulative GPA isn't above 3.0. But nothing is stated in the handbook about what happens if they both happen in one semester. I've emailed my advisor and another member of the department earlier today but neither have responded back. I'm extremely concerned that they may dismiss me from the program. One C+ shouldn't be the death of me, especially since they would skip academic probation and place me from academic warning to dismissing me.

It's especially frustrating because I've had 5 courses where I was 1 point from a higher final grade, 4 of which I was within 0.5.

I know I have to kick ass next semester and I'm prepared to make several changes and learn from this.
Hi there,
I'm not sure if you are asking a question per se or just looking for general thoughts/advice?

Every school's dismissal policy slightly varies so it is hard to comment on that, unfortunately you'll have to wait until someone gets back to you.

Depending on their policy, you may be able to dispute and fight it if they dismiss you.

I agree, the grading can be frustrating when you are on a cusp. There is literally nothing you can do about it so as frustrating as it is, try to let it go. In anatomy (6 credits) I was 0.2 points away from a B+, which dropped my GPA my first semester. I get it. Some teachers do not round and that is their policy, it is what it is.

Good luck. PT school definitely is not a picnic.

Thank you, I received emails and I'm still in the program but I must raise my GPA from 2.92 to 3.0 next semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I received emails and I'm still in the program but I must raise my GPA from 2.92 to 3.0 next semester.
Awesome! That sounds very doable.

You can meet with your professors regularly, even weekly, just to make sure you are on top of the material and don't have any questions. Be proactive about staying ahead & keep your head above water!

Reactions: 2 users
Fortunately, I had a better Spring semester and raised my GPA to meet the minimum requirements. I finally had a strong semester this Summer and now I have some breathing room with a 3.16. Also, my first clinical went very well.

I appreciate all of the positive feedback.

Reactions: 4 users