phone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackjack16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best calling card to get for international call and local calls in Australia? Are there any cheap phone card for calling cell phones? I was also wondering which cell phone service I should get in Australia.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Blackjack16
What is the best calling card to get for international call and local calls in Australia? Are there any cheap phone card for calling cell phones? I was also wondering which cell phone service I should get in Australia.

The best phone card I have had is the Go talk. It's about 4 cents to Canada but the quality is good..any lower than that and the quality gets really bad.

NOw as for cell phones i recommend you stick with the GSM phones in Australia. If you have a bit of cash (300-500) get a triband one so you can use it in North America, if not stick with a dual band GSM

Optus and Telstra both have decent prepaid plans. Don't get locked into a contract if you can avoid it...But right now I think telstra has the best coverage and the best plan. After 8pm 1 cent a min for 15 mins plus flag fall. so in total i think about 35cents for 15 mins to any phone in Australia. taht's a pretty good deal.

Optus used to have 15 mins free optus to optus but that deal is gone.

Vodafone has the best amount of time to use ur credit (365 days on some plans) and AAPT generally has the best rates for the whole day. The advantage of going prepaid is that you can literally use any company any time of the day depending on who has the better rates.

Thanks for yoru advice. So if I get preaid, I can use one phone and one number to use any plans I want? So should I get the cheapest phone out there?

What is the cheapest way to call other people in Australia that has cell phones? Calling people's cell phones are expensive here. I'm thinking of getting vodaphone because it has pretty good opton for text messaging.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for yoru advice. So if I get preaid, I can use one phone and one number to use any plans I want? So should I get the cheapest phone out there?

What is the cheapest way to call other people in Australia that has cell phones? Calling people's cell phones are expensive here. I'm thinking of getting vodaphone because it has pretty good opton for text messaging.

Well until this year the cheapest way to call other ppls cell phones was after 8pm (depending on plan, could be 9pm). But this year, they dont' have the 20 mins free for prepaid (only for contract) so last year you would choose the phone company based on what your friends had...b/c if they had optus it would be cheaper for u to call optus. But now the plans they have 1 cent/1 min (optus and telstra) mean you can call anyone regardless of their company. I would personally stick with those two because of better service and plans rates. But if you think you will be sms'ing a lot vodafone is pretty good too.

Check out the following prepaid plans: (nothing is stopping u from getting more than one if you want)

telstra
optus
virgin
vodafone
AAPT

Cell phones - if you want one just for australia you can get the cheapest prepaid one you can find. Make sure it isn't locked. (meaning only can be used on one carrier). Vodafone cells are not locked, but optus ones are. The good thing about optus phones are you can wait 6 mons and they are automatically unlocked.

Thanks for yoru advice. So if I get preaid, I can use one phone and one number to use any plans I want?

Sorry I think I confused you. No for each prepaid "sim" card you have you would have to have a different phone number. Witch would make it difficult if someone is trying to call you. But you do have the freedom to put in a different sim card if one plan is better than the other. This is useful if you make a lot of calls, not if you receive them.

Also in Australia receiving calls is free. Regardless of whether its long distance or not. So if you plan on receiving calls then i guess it really doesn't matter what company you use.

Finally as for cell phones, triband ones are still the best but they are more expensive. Depends what you want to use it for, if you want to use it while your in N.America then that is the only type that will work.