Philippines Medical schools vs. Chinese English program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SWEngineer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you recommend? A medical degree in the Philippines or in China with English medium?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you recommend? A medical degree in the Philippines or in China with English medium?

Thanks.

I know this thread is old, but I have a similar question.

2nd-tier carib school vs. Chinese med schools?

If Chinese med schools ( some basically just accepted me), including some Top 10 med school(s) in China. Is the 6yr English MBBS or the 5yr Chinese regular MBBS better? I'm fluent in both Eng and Mandarin.

I'd choose the Philippines/Carrib/China (original program, non-English) as many of these programs are not yet approved by some boards (such as CA's).

The following information is from what I've gathered in numerous other threads, as questions regarding this have been asked.

English versions of Med programs from other countries are considered as separate new programs to some accrediting boards. For example, in the board of CA list, certain English programs are listed as separate from original programs from the same school. If the English program is new, it might not be approved yet by some boards.

Of course, if my goal was not to practice in CA or other places, I would consider a new English based program. And also of course, verify with the board of whereever you plan on working

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd choose the Philippines/Carrib/China (original program, non-English) as many of these programs are not yet approved by some boards (such as CA's).

As for Cali and other states not accepting the 6yr English MBBS, I still don't get it/ It baffles me. They are all from the same med school, and sometimes taught by same professors and just use diff versions of books. English prog takes an extra year too.

So I don't quite understand why they approve 5 year Chinese but not 6 year English.

I love the schools that offer multiple lang! I love them, they give many prospective med students hope in the world

As for Cali and other states not accepting the 6yr English MBBS, I still don't get it/ It baffles me. They are all from the same med school, and sometimes taught by same professors and just use diff versions of books. English prog takes an extra year too.

So I don't quite understand why they approve 5 year Chinese but not 6 year English.

I love the schools that offer multiple lang! I love them, they give many prospective med students hope in the world

I agree, and also wonder why they don't view them as equal. I guess it may be because the quality/content of the same program, but with a different language may differ somehow and may need to prove itself by producing a class of competent physicians?

I've read through numerous other forums, and don't recall anyone inquiring as to the reason why medical boards would consider the same program (with diff. language) as "new" or different..

I agree, and also wonder why they don't view them as equal. I guess it may be because the quality/content of the same program, but with a different language may differ somehow and may need to prove itself by producing a class of competent physicians?

But it's still the same campus and resources, same med school. The thing is the Chinese professors' English may be 2nd language, and they may not explain as well as in their native tongue. That's the only major diff, lang. Material's the same