Philippine Med School Course Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sedd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am a student majoring in chemical engineering (graduating May 2017). I'm looking into the pre-med requirements in general for medical schools in the Philippines. One of the medical schools required 15 units of Biology and I was wondering if it's similar to other medical schools. Are the units the same as credits here in the US? For example, I took General Biology I with lab which was 4 credits worth, would that also transfer as 4 units in Phil.? Also, would microbiology be considered as a biology credit for the requirements or is it strictly for biology?

So far, for my biology credits I only have Gen Bio I and II with lab (8 credits), Micro with lab (4 credits), and Anatomy & Physiology I with lab (4 credits). I am planning to take Biochemistry (3 credits), Cell biology (3 credits) and maybe Anatomy & Physiology II with lab (4 credits). Would it be sufficient if I just take Biochemistry (not sure if biochem can be used as a biology credit) and Cell Bio, not A&P II ? I'm not sure how strict their requirements are for the prerequisite courses, but I think have covered my chemistry, physics, math requirements since I'm a ChE student. I was just unsure if I had enough units for biology since it's difficult to integrate biology courses in my major...

Also, since the school year begins June in the Philippines, when would be the best time to finish my application to Med School if I want to study right after graduation? I will be taking the MCAT in the summer of 2016 and the NMAT around November 2016 in California. I'll be graduating May 2017. Any tips about getting accepted to med school there would be great since I'm planning to move back and hopefully work as a doctor in the Phillipines! Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying to any medical school in the Philippines requires: 1) Be a graduate of any pre-medical Bachelor's degree (such as Biology, Nursing, Chemistry) is sure requirement; 2) NMAT score (for graduates or graduating students).

And regarding your plans to practice medicine in the Philippines (though it is too early to say coz plans change over time), take into consideration your citizenship. If you are not a Filipino citizen, you can't practice medicine in the Philippines. If you are a dual citizen, you may do so only after you complete the 5th year internship and successfully pass the national professional licensure exam.

Check out this link:
https://www.cem-inc.org.ph/nmat/requirements-procedures-admission-philippine-medical-schools