Pharmacy vs Nurse Practitioner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucdavis_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still trying to decide whether I want to do pharmacy or NP. My heart is set on both and I'm having a very hard time deciding. A part of me just wants to apply for both things after I get my bachelors, but I was really hoping to decide one soon since the prereqs are a little different. Any suggestions/reasons why one is "better" than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend that you try working in a pharmacy and shadow an NP before deciding. The outlook of pharmacy, especially retail has been discussed extensively.

good luck deciding.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacy is full of uncertainty right now. NP can do a lot more than what pharmacists can do in practice. Keep that in mind...

Members don't see this ad :)
As mentioned, shadowing or wrking as a tech really puts things in a better understanding...if it's hospital patient interactions you seek better chance as a mid level practitioner ... Around 5000 interview slots for Pharm residencies and half get it (after residency not necessarily higher pay vs retail out of school). However, other aspects in the pharmacy field Intrigue me a lot so def perspective factors matter. Just be aware of saturation and if passion still there then by all means follow the ambition

If you are seeking to be a mid-level....if you are already an RN, then NP. If not PA is quicker. The way things are looking now with our profession, I'd go PA.

You have to have a BSN to become an NP. If you're looking to become a practitioner after (or instead of) becoming a pharmacist, the PA-C route would take a lot less time, since you wouldn't have to start over from square one.

I'm not sure the time difference between an NP and PA is all that significant. For someone with a BS (and it looks like OP is at UC Davis), there are accelerated NP programs where you can get a BSN and MSN in about 3 years. PA programs are generally 2 years.

CSULA offers a 15 month ABSN, and the MSN can be completed after that. CSULB used to offer their ELM (entry-level masters) program, but they do not have funding for it any longer. Many schools have similar programs if you search "accelerated BSN".

I would be more concerned about the differences in the job itself, scope of practice, billing, etc. than the length of schooling if I were debating between the two career paths. Nurses are able to get some pretty hefty scholarships nationally due to shortages in providers.

If you love pharmacy then do pharmacy; I would never encourage anyone to abandon their dreams. However, pharmacy is a **** hole right now with so much consolidation. PA/NP is the future with healthcare costs being focused on these days.

Reactions: 1 users
As a uc davis alumni, I really believe you should take advantage of all the shadowing and internship opportunities ucd offers. Its amazing how much the school caters to students. Also look at their internships in science but outside of healthcare bc this is probably the only time to do it. One of the things I did wrong was just randomly apply to pharm school without doing enough research.

I thought about going to med school or even PA school but I'm missing a lot of requirements for admission like A&P, bio 2 and 3, etc. School won't take me seriously if I took those classes at a junior college....

As a uc davis alumni, I really believe you should take advantage of all the shadowing and internship opportunities ucd offers. Its amazing how much the school caters to students. Also look at their internships in science but outside of healthcare bc this is probably the only time to do it. One of the things I did wrong was just randomly apply to pharm school without doing enough research.

I am doing an internship right now in the emergency room at UC Davis Med Center through HRI and am planning on doing one for pharmacy through HRI also. Is there anywhere else I should be looking for internship opportunities through Davis? I am glad there is a UCD alumni commenting on this post! It is very helpful :)

If you are seeking to be a mid-level....if you are already an RN, then NP. If not PA is quicker. The way things are looking now with our profession, I'd go PA.
\

What are the major differences between applying for NP or PA besides the hours of service you must complete for PA?

I'm not sure the time difference between an NP and PA is all that significant. For someone with a BS (and it looks like OP is at UC Davis), there are accelerated NP programs where you can get a BSN and MSN in about 3 years. PA programs are generally 2 years.

CSULA offers a 15 month ABSN, and the MSN can be completed after that. CSULB used to offer their ELM (entry-level masters) program, but they do not have funding for it any longer. Many schools have similar programs if you search "accelerated BSN".

I would be more concerned about the differences in the job itself, scope of practice, billing, etc. than the length of schooling if I were debating between the two career paths. Nurses are able to get some pretty hefty scholarships nationally due to shortages in providers.

I was planning on doing an accelerated NP program after I graduate with a BS in Human Development. Do you know what the avg GPA usually is for accelerated programs in California? I can't really find it anywhere. All I see is the minimum 3.0 to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)

Midlevels, especially NP's are quickly becoming saturated (already saturated in "desirable" areas.) It makes no sense for people who want to change from pharmacy, due to saturation, to go the NP tract.

I was planning on doing an accelerated NP program after I graduate with a BS in Human Development. Do you know what the avg GPA usually is for accelerated programs in California? I can't really find it anywhere. All I see is the minimum 3.0 to apply.
I know Azusa Pacific has one and it's no competitive at all like requiring a lot. It's a 3-4 year program, first two years you get your RN then work while you study for NP.

Go PA. Your scope of practice is completely dependent on how much your supervising attending lets you do and you can switch specialties at the drop of a hat. Also, no call, weekends or residency required.

Not if they work at hospitals with residents.
The whole idea of midlevels is to work undesirable shifts for physicians - which is nights and weekends.

Women have done catastrophic damage to fields like pharmacy and medicine

Just stay in nursing

The whole idea of midlevels is to work undesirable shifts for physicians - which is nights and weekends.

I think you're confusing midlevels with resident physicians. NP's/PAs are hired by physicians to do tedious work (such as routine floor work, outpatient clinic duties, coordinating discharge care, etc.) that physicians don't have time for.

maybe that was the original justification. The reality is, now that NP's can practice independently in many states, they only want to work desirable hours in desirable locations.....which is why there are (and probably always will be) shortages in true rural areas, while big cities are already completely saturated with doctors and midlevels alike.