Pharmacy Tech going for PharmD.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orion2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to this forum.

I'm a pharmacy technician at a compounding pharmacy, I've been there for the past three years now. I'm 29 years old from South Florida and I've made up my mind and I want to become a pharmacist. Problem is I get a lot of conflicting information from different pharmacist I know on which is the right path towards a PharmD. This is a great forum, I've been lurking for a while and I thought it be better to get some answers to my questions here. By the way I have searched this forum for answers but none pertain to my situation very well.

Question time:

I'm enrolling in Miami Dade College for their Pre-Pharmacy program in the Fall. I've heard from different pharmacists that you only need an A.A to get into Pharmacy School, some say get a B.A. and even others have said just do the pre requisites listed on the Pharm Schools website, that you don't even need a degree. How true is that last part? I ask because I'm 29 and would like to take the most efficient route to Pharm school but I also don't want to half a** it. If I need a B.A. to get in, I'll get the B.A. but what is the most efficient route?

Another question is debt. Nova is the closest Pharm School to me, I live in Miami but have heard they're pricey. Something like $40k a year. I've heard FAMU in Tallahassee is the cheapest in Florida. Should I go with the cheapest school when it comes time to apply? Does debt matter considering how much a Pharmacist makes? Do potential employers view degrees from different schools differently? Would a PharmD from Nova give me better chances of landing a good job? Does it even matter?

I'm sorry for all these newby questions, it's just I feel pretty lost to be honest. Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the first part, it depends on the school. Most schools right now just require you do the prerequisites and apply (so that would be the fastest). Some require you have a bachelor's first, so just check their admissions website.

Everybody's probably gonna tell you just go cheaper unless there's a specific reason you want the more expensive school :p After you graduate, nobody really cares. If you want to do a residency, they'll only really care if you went to one of the new 'diploma mill schools'.

You have heard correct. Many schools don't require a Bachelors degree. Only completing their particular pre-reqs would do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I can attest that all you need are the pre-reqs for most pharmD programs. You can do it. Worry about debt later and do what you love.

You can do it. Worry about debt later and do what you love.
2.gif