Pharmacy students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDHelpMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Carry the hate to another thread.. move along.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a current pharmacy student, and the important thing to remember is that -- WOW we made it to pharmacy school! So first, congratulations. Second, try to remember why you applied to pharmacy school in the first place. The reason health profession schools are so demanding and competitive to get into, is because these professions aren't easy, but they're fulfilling and I think it's worth it. Third, is there anything that you're struggling with in particular: (transportation, time management, specific subjects, work/school balance, etc.)? I'd be happy to provide some tips on any of it.

Reactions: 4 users
Take a deep breathe and know that you're not alone, everyone else in your class are going through the same courses and are probably stressing too. I'm in my last year of pharmacy school doing rotations and I feel like I am out of my comfort zone every month:) My advice is embrace the challenge and don't shy away from it!! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be a debbie downer but please make sure you get whatever issues you may be having sorted out before your P2 and P3 year because thats when your material really takes off. P1 is usually a informational foundation year.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to reach out to students who are in pharmacy school. I've been feeling down and depressed. My first semester is a shock. I've never been out of my comfort zone. Im going to admit I avoid telling people I'm a pharmacy student because I don't want to fail and be known as a failure. I think of dropping out everyday. I'm so scared that I spend my time thinking of failing and procrastinate. I know that's wrong. I know I should utitlize my time better. Scared isn't the word, I'm horrified. Any kind advice?

What's the problem?

I'm a current pharmacy student, and the important thing to remember is that -- WOW we made it to pharmacy school! So first, congratulations. Second, try to remember why you applied to pharmacy school in the first place. The reason health profession schools are so demanding and competitive to get into, is because these professions aren't easy, but they're fulfilling and I think it's worth it. Third, is there anything that you're struggling with in particular: (transportation, time management, specific subjects, work/school balance, etc.)? I'd be happy to provide some tips on any of it.
Time management. Balance of life in general and school. Procrastination. My memory is horrible and it never was :(

Time management. Balance of life in general and school. Procrastination. My memory is horrible and it never was :(

Time management is a serious wake up call for everyone once they begin pharmacy school.

I recommend buying a large calender at walmart, they have this one that is like 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft, and writing down every single thing that you need to do that day (homework, assignments, exams coming up, etc.) You need to be organized for the first time in your life and plan accordingly. I used this method and it truly helped me.

Other than that, keep your health and sanity by making sure you eat well and get some exercise daily. That is crucial... these programs are very stressful and it is easy to become overwhelmed and get down on yourself. I started having hypertension during my 2/3rd yr because I lost my exercise routine and was eating poorly, because I really didn't have the time for anything but studying and going to my part time job. Going for a 30min walk outside can make a vast difference... give yourself time to unplug and think, get endorphins flowing... highly recommend weight training 3-4x a week and cardio exercise for 30-60min on the other days. It will help your anxiety.

Eat right: get a couple servings of fruits and vegetables each day (not that naked crap drink, actual fruit...). Eat lean protein sources, whole grains, and stay away from fast food. Learn to meal prep chicken and veggies. Buy a george foreman grill for $20 off amazon and learn to cook your meals on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I can't manage my time. I have anxiety. I lost my confidence. I just don't know :(

How did you do first semester?

You have 2 real options. The first is to realize that your life should revolve around nothing but school, and that you need to buckle down and study, study, study.

The second, is to drop out. If you did well academically, you can possibly consider staying in school. If you struggled at all with first year material I strongly encourage you to consider changing career paths.

P1 year was disgustingly easy. I came to pharmacy with a hardcore science and math background, so first year was actually easier for me than college. Not that the material was watered down or anything, just that generally first year material is rudimentary across all schools. It doesn't get any easier than learning algebra for pharmacy ("pharmacy calculations"), memorizing a bunch of drug names, and taking soft classes like communications or professionalism. My point in talking about all this is that if you already feel challenged, you do not belong in pharmacy school. P2 year ramped up significantly, especially during 2nd semester, and P3 was disgustingly hard, and likely especially in a way that you would have a weakness to.

Schools like to pressure students and create situations that heighten anxiety and depression. The actual classwork was not that difficult, but the policies and the way that certain classes were taught created agony for students. How would you react if your professor told you that you needed a base minimum score to pass an exam or you would "fail out?" How would you react if you were threatened with "professional citations," or only given 2 or 3 chances to pass a lab competency? I can see all of these things contributing to anxiety. So let us know, and consider your choices carefully. You really should have asked for this advice much earlier, before the spring semester so you could have at least saved yourself tuition if you do decide to drop out.

Time management is a serious wake up call for everyone one they begin pharmacy school.

I recommend buying a large calender at walmart, they have this one that is like 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft, and writing down every single that you need to do that day (homework, assignments, exams coming up, etc.) You need to be organized for the first time in your life and plan accordingly. I used this method and it truly helped me.

Other than that, keep your health and sanity by making sure you eat well and get some exercise daily. That is crucial... these programs are very stressful and it is easy to become overwhelmed and get down on yourself. I started having hypertension during my 2/3rd yr because I lost my exercise routine and was eating poorly, because I really didn't have the time for anything but studying and going to my part time job. Going for a 30min walk outside can make a vast difference... give yourself time to unplug and think, get endorphins flowing... highly recommend weight training 3-4x a week and cardio exercise for 30-60min on the other days. It will help your anxiety.

Eat right: get a couple servings of fruits and vegetables each day (not that naked crap drink, actual fruit...). Eat lean protein sources, whole grains, and stay away from fast food. Learn to meal prep chicken and veggies. Buy a george foreman grill for $20 off amazon and learn to cook your meals on it.
Excellent advice. OP, there should also be counseling services available at your school. That might be helpful.

How did you do first semester?

You have 2 real options. The first is to realize that your life should revolve around nothing but school, and that you need to buckle down and study, study, study.

The second, is to drop out. If you did well academically, you can possibly consider staying in school. If you struggled at all with first year material I strongly encourage you to consider changing career paths.

P1 year was disgustingly easy. I came to pharmacy with a hardcore science and math background, so first year was actually easier for me than college. Not that the material was watered down or anything, just that generally first year material is rudimentary across all schools. It doesn't get any easier than learning algebra for pharmacy ("pharmacy calculations"), memorizing a bunch of drug names, and taking soft classes like communications or professionalism. My point in talking about all this is that if you already feel challenged, you do not belong in pharmacy school. P2 year ramped up significantly, especially during 2nd semester, and P3 was disgustingly hard, and likely especially in a way that you would have a weakness to.

Schools like to pressure students and create situations that heighten anxiety and depression. The actual classwork was not that difficult, but the policies and the way that certain classes were taught created agony for students. How would you react if your professor told you that you needed a base minimum score to pass an exam or you would "fail out?" How would you react if you were threatened with "professional citations," or only given 2 or 3 chances to pass a lab competency? I can see all of these things contributing to anxiety. So let us know, and consider your choices carefully. You really should have asked for this advice much earlier, before the spring semester so you could have at least saved yourself tuition if you do decide to drop out.
consider dropping out because I'm scared? So just run away from my fears? I'm trying I just have bad time management and I really don't know.

Last edited:
Not to be a debbie downer but please make sure you get whatever issues you may be having sorted out before your P2 and P3 year because thats when your material really takes off. P1 is usually a informational foundation year.
I can't help but agree with this.
P1 was a cake walk.

I don't see how someone who can barely handle P1 year is going to handle actually working

consider dropping out because I'm scared? So just run away from my fears? I'm trying I just have bad time management and I really don't know. I haven't adapted to my new home and life is that possibly why it's so hard?

Did you not read my post????? I don't write long posts like that for my own health!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for other people's information, this is the 8th thread of similar topics. If this and the others are real threads (doubtful), Bulldog is right. You will not do well moving forward if you do not get into a healthier mindset and solve the core issues.

I just wanted to reach out to students who are in pharmacy school. I've been feeling down and depressed. My first semester is a shock. I've never been out of my comfort zone. Im going to admit I avoid telling people I'm a pharmacy student because I don't want to fail and be known as a failure. I think of dropping out everyday. I'm so scared that I spend my time thinking of failing and procrastinate. I know that's wrong. I know I should utitlize my time better. Scared isn't the word, I'm horrified. Any kind advice?
which school you going to ?!

Time management is a serious wake up call for everyone once they begin pharmacy school.

I recommend buying a large calender at walmart, they have this one that is like 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft, and writing down every single thing that you need to do that day (homework, assignments, exams coming up, etc.) You need to be organized for the first time in your life and plan accordingly. I used this method and it truly helped me.

hey what's wrong with naked juice ?

This is what pisses me off about pharmacy school (and to an extent, AA school as well). These graduate programs are more expensive than they've ever been, and yet many (all?) schools actually have a vested interest in making students more likely to fail. It shows that they don't actually care about anyone's success -- they just want to graduate and showcase students who they feel make their program look good. It was like that in AA school as well. If you a lab simulation final (basically the anesthesia equivalent of a pharmacy school lab competency exam), you get a single opportunity to reattempt it. If you make a mistake during the second attempt, you have not only failed the entire lab course (even if you had a 100 average on all other coursework), but you are now kicked out of the program. Just like that. These graduate health professions programs are nothing but businesses that care exclusively about making money for themselves and graduating students who will serve as walking billboards for the program.

OP, how many days ahead of the test do you start studying? You might just need to start studying 4-6 days prior to the exam day if you're not doing so already, especially for memorization-heavy subjects. I'll often make a 93-96 by studying at least 5 or so days in advance for a test that I would otherwise be lucky to barely pass if I only studied the night before for it.

P1 was a cake walk.

I don't see how someone who can barely handle P1 year is going to handle actually working
P1 was a cake walk.

Did you not read my post????? I don't write long posts like that for my own health!
Don't write at all? Stay healthy.

hey what's wrong with naked juice ?

Seriously? Look at the ingredient panel... It's not actually fruit. You're not getting the fiber or all of the micronutrients from eating the actual fruit... you're getting pure sugar. It's pitiful, one of the most unhealthy things you could drink. Might as well drink a Coke, it's the same sugar content and at least Coke taste decent.

Picture4-1.png

Last edited:
This is what pisses me off about pharmacy school (and to an extent, AA school as well). These graduate programs are more expensive than they've ever been, and yet many (all?) schools actually have a vested interest in making students more likely to fail. It shows that they don't actually care about anyone's success -- they just want to graduate and showcase students who they feel make their program look good. It was like that in AA school as well. If you a lab simulation final (basically the anesthesia equivalent of a pharmacy school lab competency exam), you get a single opportunity to reattempt it. If you make a mistake during the second attempt, you have not only failed the entire lab course (even if you had a 100 average on all other coursework), but you are now kicked out of the program. Just like that. These graduate health professions programs are nothing but businesses that care exclusively about making money for themselves and graduating students who will serve as walking billboards for the program.

OP, how many days ahead of the test do you start studying? You might just need to start studying 4-6 days prior to the exam day if you're not doing so already, especially for memorization-heavy subjects. I'll often make a 93-96 by studying at least 5 or so days in advance for a test that I would otherwise be lucky to barely pass if I only studied the night before for it.

You're lucky your school even allows an opportunity to reattempt a lab final like that... Do a lot of schools do that? (the school I'm at just puts you back into the class beneath you and you retake the entire course & graduate a year later, fail again and they kick you out completely) This is a professional school, what do you expect? They shouldn't allow multiple attempts... this is a no brainer.

The people that fail this kind of stuff always surprise me how they even passed pre-reqs (obviously not taken at a decent school or else they wouldn't have passed Organic and even made it into pharm school).

Last edited:
You're lucky your school even allows an opportunity to reattempt a lab final like that... Do a lot of schools do that? (the school I'm at just puts you back into the class beneath you and you retake the entire course & graduate a year later, fail again and they kick you out completely) This is a professional school, what do you expect? They shouldn't allow multiple attempts... this is a no brainer.

The people that fail this kind of stuff always surprise me how they even passed pre-reqs (obviously not taken at a decent school or else they wouldn't have passed Organic and even made it into pharm school).
I agree. Schools are letting in just anybody. Pharmacy school used to be competitive. This is what happens when people are admitted who should have most likely never been admitted in the first place.

Seriously? Look at the ingredient panel... It's not actually fruit. You're not getting the fiber or all of the micronutrients from eating the actual fruit... you're getting pure sugar. It's pitiful, one of the most unhealthy things you could drink. Might as well drink a Coke, it's the same sugar content and at least Coke taste decent.

Picture4-1.png
I don't think the purée lost any nutritional value compared to the whole fruits.

I don't think the purée lost any nutritional value compared to the whole fruits.
I don't think so either, but it doesn't have any fiber, which is important. Might as well just eat fruit. Healthier and cheaper.

Picture4-1.png
They didn't add any sugar so I don't know why you circled that. Fruit will have that, too.

I agree. Schools are letting in just anybody. Pharmacy school used to be competitive. This is what happens when people are admitted who should have most likely never been admitted in the first place.
I agree. I heard that my school implemented a policy letting students retake a certain number of tests from each class, and moved away from essay format to make everything a multiple choice electronic test. Students are still failing.

I agree. I heard that my school implemented a policy letting students retake a certain number of tests from each class, and moved away from essay format to make everything a multiple choice electronic test. Students are still failing.
Just awful. It's dragging our whole profession down. People will deal with pharmacists who don't have a clue, and lose trust in pharmacists in general. I know of a lot of doctors who are hesitant to deal with pharmacists they don't know due to wrong info they have received or just lack of competence. It sucks because it makes it harder for the good pharmacists to gain their trust.

That's another good point for the OP to consider. Like any other graduate health professions program, pharmacy school is very high stakes, and there is a lot that depends on your ability to pass certain tests (lab tests, etc.) on a single first attempt. But you really have to ask yourself -- what are you actually getting in return for all that stress and commitment in the modern era of pharmacy? *Maybe* a job with the worst-reputed retail chain in the country working 32 hours a week? A hospital pharmacy job paying what the 32 hour retail job would pay, except you have to actually work 40-45 hours to earn that same paycheck?

... really?! That's the reward you can expect to get if you can manage to get it all together and overcome your issues?

It's like putting in thousands of hours worth of training and misery and sacrifice to run a marathon, and when the day of the marathon actually arrives and you finish it, there is no feeling of having accomplished anything worthwhile. You realize none of it was worth it.

That brings up another good thing to keep in mind. Find out when your school's withdraw deadline is for this semester (I.e., deadline to withdraw and still receive passing W grades in your classes, instead of WFs). On the drop deadline day, look at your grades in all your classes so far and ask yourself if you really want to keep doing this. You're still at an early enough stage of pharmacy school that you can withdraw, apply to other health professions programs, and simply tell them you left pharmacy school because you realized pharmacy wasn't your passion or some BS.

On the other hand, if you allow yourself to fail out of pharmacy school, you will be in the situation of having failed out of a graduate health professions program, which is a much more difficult application blemish to explain.

Finally, one last thing to consider is, if you're already having a hard time in pharmacy school, are you going to be able to find the time to "hustle" (I.e., work intern jobs, join student organizations, etc.), or is all your time going to be spent studying? If so, then you could be putting yourself in the future situation of not being able to find a job, even if you thought you'd be willing to "settle" for a 30 hours a week crap retail job.

In general, you just need to ask yourself, is all the misery and effort and struggling even going to be worth what little payoff with be waiting at the end of it all anymore? If there are any other health professions you'd enjoy doing as much as you think you enjoy pharmacy, know that by pursuing literally any of them instead, you would enjoy significantly better future job prospects.

That's another good point for the OP to consider. Like any other graduate health professions program, pharmacy school is very high stakes, and there is a lot that depends on your ability to pass certain tests (lab tests, etc.) on a single first attempt. But you really have to ask yourself -- what are you actually getting in return for all that stress and commitment in the modern era of pharmacy? *Maybe* a job with the worst-reputed retail chain in the country working 32 hours a week? A hospital pharmacy job paying what the 32 hour retail job would pay, except you have to actually work 40-45 hours to earn that same paycheck?

... really?! That's the reward you can expect to get if you can manage to get it all together and overcome your issues?

It's like putting in thousands of hours worth of training and misery and sacrifice to run a marathon, and when the day of the marathon actually arrives and you finish it, there is no feeling of having accomplished anything worthwhile. You realize none of it was worth it.

That brings up another good thing to keep in mind. Find out when your school's withdraw deadline is for this semester (I.e., deadline to withdraw and still receive passing W grades in your classes, instead of WFs). On the drop deadline day, look at your grades in all your classes so far and ask yourself if you really want to keep doing this. You're still at an early enough stage of pharmacy school that you can withdraw, apply to other health professions programs, and simply tell them you left pharmacy school because you realized pharmacy wasn't your passion or some BS.

On the other hand, if you allow yourself to fail out of pharmacy school, you will be in the situation of having failed out of a graduate health professions program, which is a much more difficult application blemish to explain.

Finally, one last thing to consider is, if you're already having a hard time in pharmacy school, are you going to be able to find the time to "hustle" (I.e., work intern jobs, join student organizations, etc.), or is all your time going to be spent studying? If so, then you could be putting yourself in the future situation of not being able to find a job, even if you thought you'd be willing to "settle" for a 30 hours a week crap retail job.

In general, you just need to ask yourself, is all the misery and effort and struggling even going to be worth what little payoff with be waiting at the end of it all anymore? If there are any other health professions you'd enjoy doing as much as you think you enjoy pharmacy, know that by pursuing literally any of them instead, you would enjoy significantly better future job prospects.
Here we go again...
Have you dropped out of pharmacy school yet? I hope so. You seem to hate it. Find something you love and you're good at.

Reactions: 1 users
Here we go again...
Have you dropped out of pharmacy school yet? I hope so. You seem to hate it. Find something you love and you're good at.

I gave the OP good advice, especially in regards to knowing when to drop out instead of letting himself fail out, and also in regards to making sure he will be able to handle the stress and time commitment of doing what it will take for him to land a job in the future (I.e., school + working). That was the only intention of my post. If others don't like it, that's their problem, but the OP needs to consider what I'm saying.

Have you considered a career in medical writing? You might be suited for it.

I gave the OP good advice, especially in regards to knowing when to drop out instead of letting himself fail out, and also in regards to making sure he will be able to handle the stress and time commitment of doing what it will take for him to land a job in the future (I.e., school + working). That was the only intention of my post. If others don't like it, that's their problem, but the OP needs to consider what I'm saying.
These are things that should have been considered before people apply to pharmacy school, not after they are accepted and enrolled.

Lmao. Except what he writes is complaining not medical writing in my opinion. I hope he finds the right career path and sticks with it. I personally don't think healthcare is the right career choice for someone like him based on what he writes on sdn.

They didn't add any sugar so I don't know why you circled that. Fruit will have that, too.

I didn't make that picture, it's from google.

The point is, it is all from fruit juice. You're farrr better off eating an actual fruit, which has fiber and micronutrients.

Dammit guys you're losing the whole point. Eat your freaking fruits and vegetables, exercise, and be healthy.

Lmao. Except what he writes is complaining not medical writing in my opinion. I hope he finds the right career path and sticks with it. I personally don't think healthcare is the right career choice for someone like him based on what he writes on sdn.

True.

You and I got to stay healthy.

I just re-read it, and it cracks me up that these garbage pharmacists and garbage students all have the same response to their threads.

"Hey, I'm in an incredibly complex situation of my own creation. There are only bad options available.

Please provide me with an easy answer or I'll tell you not to post in the thread"

Reactions: 4 users
What does this post even mean?

Here we go again...
I actually love pharmacy and have been
Here we go again...

Here we go again...

pharmacy has been my passion

Last edited:
How is someone as emotionless as you who "lmao" at people's struggles a pharmacist?

I just re-read it, and it cracks me up that these garbage pharmacists and garbage students all have the same response to their threads.

"Hey, I'm in an incredibly complex situation of my own creation. There are only bad options available.

Please provide me with an easy answer or I'll tell you not to post in the thread"

What got me was the fact that I took the time to write out a genuinely long, heartfelt post about my personal experiences to try to help and was completely ignored

How is someone as emotionless as you who "lmao" at people's struggles a pharmacist?
What got me was the fact that I took the time to write out a genuinely long, heartfelt post about my personal experiences to try to help and was completely ignored
im sorry I didn't mean that. I'm new to sdn and this will be my last thread here. I didn't know "doctors" could be so mean.

Okay you really have reading comprehension problems... I clearly quoted my response about being a medical writer to PAtoPharm... explains quite a few things. Stay healthy!

Okay you really have reading comprehension problems... I clearly quoted my response about being a medical writer to PAtoPharm... explains quite a few things. Stay healthy!
You're very rude and ignorant. I'm new to sdn. Whoa ok I'm done here. You all stay blessed.

pharmacy has been my passion since 2nd grade.

Can you tell us more about this?

BTW those posts above were directed at PAtoPharm, not you. Debating dropping out and trying for another profession vs staying in pharmacy school, so that's what everyone was talking about.

im sorry I didn't mean that. I'm new to sdn and this will be my last thread here. I didn't know "doctors" could be so mean.

You're in PHARMACY of all professions, and you're getting upset about people (who aren't really) being "mean?" You are going to get torn apart in retail.