Pharmacy degree from Australia.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDiddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info regarding practice of pharmacy in Canada/US with a BPharm from an Aussie University? Thinking about going to study there but I would like to make sure that a degree from an overseas uni is respected here in North America.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by JDiddy
Does anyone have any info regarding practice of pharmacy in Canada/US with a BPharm from an Aussie University? Thinking about going to study there but I would like to make sure that a degree from an overseas uni is respected here in North America.

Thanks!

I know about 3 or 4 pharmacy students at my school from Canada, PM me if u'd like some contact details.

If you graduated last year or will soon, then the US is out for you, as they now require a minimum five year degree. Graduates prior to 2003 are exempt. Canada is province-specific, so best thing to do is inquire with each provincial body.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by The Pill Counter
If you graduated last year or will soon, then the US is out for you, as they now require a minimum five year degree. Graduates prior to 2003 are exempt. Canada is province-specific, so best thing to do is inquire with each provincial body.

Not quite, Uni of Tas is a 5 year degree (if you do a one year grad diploma/honours along with the basic degree.)

http://www.healthsci.utas.edu.au/pharmacy/pharmacyprof.html
Professional Recognition
Approximately five years of study and practical experience are required to become a registered pharmacist. At present in Tasmania this comprises four years for the Bachelor of Pharmacy degree and a period of up to one year's work as a trainee. After this time graduates are eligible to sit the Pharmacy Board of Tasmania examinations for registration as a pharmacist. A pharmacist registered in Tasmania has reciprocity throughout Australia and in New Zealand and Great Britain

not quite rsd, the actual BPharm has to be min 5 yrs duration. Best to contact National Association of Boards of Pharmacy for confirmation. I've emailed them in the past on behalf of a friend. Pre-reg training doesn't count.