Pharmacist Tasks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I currently work as a retail pharmacist. I feel that I was not properly trained or informed about my duties as a pharmacist. Just to add to the story, currently I am pregnant and in Michigan there is no breaks to eat or sit for pharmacist. In Michigan, I find it stupid that the techs get 15minute breaks and 30minute lunches and pharmacist DON'T. not fair at all..especially when a pharmacist is pregnant.

What are my rights as a pharmacist? What am I required to do vs optional to do?

I literally find myself running from fill counter to grabbing the phones to register to F4 and F1. Also does anyone else been in a situation where techs know your a fresh pharmacist and seem to be rude and think they the boss? some techs openly tell me to get counter/drive thru. Whereas other stores they let me focus on F1, F4, transfers, verifying..etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I currently work at Walgreens as a pharmacist. I feel that I was not properly trained or informed about my duties as a pharmacist. Just to add to the story, currently I am pregnant and in Michigan there is no breaks to eat or sit for pharmacist. At Walgreens in Michigan, I find it stupid that the techs get 15minute breaks and 30minute lunches and pharmacist DON'T. not fair at all..especially when a pharmacist is pregnant.

I literally find myself running from fill counter to grabbing the phones to register to F4 and F1. Also does anyone else been in a situation where techs know your a fresh pharmacist and seem to be rude and think they the boss? some techs openly tell me to get counter/drive thru. Whereas other stores they let me focus on F1, F4, transfers, verifying..etc.

wow, that is hard. it is not easy to deal with that situation when that happens.

1. Not fair? You make like 5 times what your techs make. Is that fair?
2. Just take your breaks. Who's telling you, you can't take a break? Tell people you'll be in the back to eat and there will be no verification or counseling for 30 min.
3. Customers present come first. If your techs are busy filling waiters or on the phone or with other customers, it's your job to get drive thru or pick up
4. Which pharmacy did you work for before? Everything you just described is normal working conditions for almost every retail pharmacies not just Walgreens. Where have you been???

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a full list of 'expectations,' I'm sure your manager or DM can find one for you. You might be surprised how long it is. In short, you are running a pharmacy, so whatever goes on, it is on you. Techs have a list of responsibilities too. However, if they are poorly trained, overwhelmed, or unwilling to do them, then it could become your problem.

As far as techs go, they are people too. They like to work with 'stronger' pharmacists. So when they see one that they think is giving them more work than they are used to, they might push back. I am not really defending them but it is hard to judge work place dynamics from afar. I mean, do you like working with new hires or experienced workers? Do you get frustrated when you have to teach someone multiple times same thing?

Pharmacy is not a good environment for pregnant women. That is up to the labor boards, state regulations, and the company you work for.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this is just a hard time to be in retail pharmacy (or any pharmacy probably). We are working on bare bones staff so yes, the Pharmacist is responsible for basically every task. I work solo on the weekends. I sympathize with the technician issue. I have seen it happen before. I actually warned my grad intern about it before she became licensed and was about to become a floater. The older, seasoned techs will chew you up and spit you out. I told her she needed to be armed with knowledge - if she knows the system and can troubleshoot insurance issues, rejects, etc then they won’t think they know “more” than her. It’s also hard to be assertive (especially as a floater walking into a pharmacy you’re completely unfamiliar with), but you need to be. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
I currently work as a retail pharmacist. I feel that I was not properly trained or informed about my duties as a pharmacist. Just to add to the story, currently I am pregnant and in Michigan there is no breaks to eat or sit for pharmacist. In Michigan, I find it stupid that the techs get 15minute breaks and 30minute lunches and pharmacist DON'T. not fair at all..especially when a pharmacist is pregnant.

Another pharmacist who did not work during school...