Pharm Tech License in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atteb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about working as a pharm tech this summer before I start pharm school this Fall.

But I need to take the next PTCE first to be certified (end of April), then apply for a Pharm Tech License to the California State Board of Pharmacy.

I was wondering if anyone knows how long the application processing time takes. I have checked with the CA State Board of Pharmacy website to look for the answer to this question and I only found this: "After completion of all deficiencies, the processing time is 60 days. If your application has no deficiencies, the process time is shorter." I am not sure how much shorter is "shorter."

So I am hoping that someone on here might have done it and know the time. If it really takes that long, then I might as well not take the PTCE because by the time I get my license, summer would be over :)

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say 60 days is a good processing time to go by.

There are thousands of licenses & registrations processed during the year & a staff of about 5 doing it. I sent my renewal for my pharmacist license - just a signed statement of CE & $$ & its been at least 60 days, so I wouldn't plan on a shorter period of time.

Hey guys I have a question,

If i wanted to work as a tech in CA, do I have to go to one of those trade schools and take all those classes. Or can I take the PTCB test and apply to be a registered tech? I already have my BS and I don't want to have to do some stupid courses just to learn how to count pills. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I have a question,

If i wanted to work as a tech in CA, do I have to go to one of those trade schools and take all those classes. Or can I take the PTCB test and apply to be a registered tech? I already have my BS and I don't want to have to do some stupid courses just to learn how to count pills. Thanks

If you look at the state board's website, provided I'm reading it right, you can take PTCE, get LiveSCAN, pay fees, send papers, wait 60-90 days and voila, you're a certified tech. The exam is not that hard. Bit o'math, few drug names, and a little inventory control. Other threads give info on study guides, I took the courses at CC so I didn't use study guides, just textbooks.

Hi Farmecyst

Would u pls let me know how can i got the workpermit as i m in dependent visa & willing to be a pharmacy technacian .

Thanks
Srabony

I'm not sure I can be that much help here. I'm a natural born citizen so I haven't had to deal with the politics involved in getting permits/licensing as a foreign born permanent resident/green card/visa holder. I'd look at the CA Board of Pharmacy's website and see if they have any other restrictions. You might also check PTCB.org to see if they have any requirements for permanent residents/VISA holders.

Hi all,

I am planning to take the licensing exam in Hong Kong .
i would to know about the syllabus & general info about the pharmacy licensure exam in HK. anybody from you who can give me details pls
nice to meet you guys.:love:

Hi all,

I am planning to take the licensing exam in Hong Kong .
i would to know about the syllabus & general info about the pharmacy licensure exam in HK. anybody from you who can give me details pls
nice to meet you guys.:love:

You might start a new thread with a title specific to your request. Since you posted this in a CA tech licensing thread, not many folks outside of CA will probably look & I know for sure I don't know a thing about being licensed in Hong Kong.

But...good luck!