Pharm Internship Site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ahh the beauty of google searches.

Chain Store Pharmacy Internships

This was for CA, but you can get to other states from this site i think

Members don't see this ad.

thanks triangulation!!!

this is a great site.

btw, i think that these stores only take interns (after lst year of pharm school)..
but the info, is great.

hey, does anyone know if we can complete teh entire 4th year of internship..by doing what you want. i.e. all retail.

Glengarry said

In Washington state, you can start interning as soon as you get accepted into pharmacy school. You don't even have to wait until you start school. Basically, after you get your acceptance letter, you go the Board of Pharmacy website, print out an intern application and fill it out, send a picture, and a fee ($20.00 If I remember) mail it to them and in about a week you get your intern license.

This is lookin' better and better

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you start interning as soon as you get accepted into pharmacy school in CALIFORNIA....Is there is a site?

I called virtually all of them and none accepted in-coming students. Most were interested in students in the summer bw 1st and 2nd year.

were you talking of cali pharmacies or washington ones...well just wondering for those cali acceptees...but if you are goign to cali school, and want to spend the summer in washington state, can you show wash. state your acceptance and start working there for acceptable intern hours. i think it depends on aacp too?

btw, triangulation, or keiki..can you get us all set up with interning info. how to, etc.

I have a couple of questions..once you get the intership certification...can you work as a intern in the summer before pharmacy school?....Do interns get paid? If so how much? thanks.

I was talking about CA. WA apparently has a slightly different procedure, which is not surprising since CA is more stringent about just about everything.

You'll probably get your Pharm intern license in your first year. I can ask a pharm student at UCSF about that.

It looks like the best option for working in a pharmacy right now is tech'ing, which I'm gonna start doing this wk (part-time at Gap just isn't gonna do it. Ask Keiki about that.) The pay for techs is just fine, so I'll be more than willing to wait on interns. Plus, at a lot of the higher end hospitals they're really interested in hiring techs that will be starting pharm school. I had this guy calling from a General Hospital in the Bay Area trying to tell me how tech'ing now and interning later were in his plan for me. I neglected to tell him I'm most likely leaving town in two months permanently (sorry, but my abject poverty demands drastic measures.)

Moral of the story: Just tech. They'll hire you if you tell them you got in somewhere and wil continue to work through school.

I know I'm a little late replying to this thread, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in....

Tryinghard: It's my understanding that all 4th year (3rd year in accelarated progs) rotations must have hospital rotations...I think it's an ACPE requirement that pharm schools must fulfill as a way for students to apply the didactic portion of the curriculum (can't imagine applying all that stuff in a retail setting)...I don't have a choice in the matter at my school, I have to do some hospital rotations in my 3rd year....

Phar: The hospital I work at as an intern pharmacist pays me ~$13/hr as a 1st year student, and it goes up by some increment for 2nd year, 3rd year, etc. Don't know about retail pay rates, since I only work (for money) at hospital. Internships that are part of your school's experiential curriculum (like my Rite-Aid rotation) are unpaid.

By the way, Triangulation is correct...the best thing to do (if you want to work before school starts) is to work as a tech. Several of my classmates were techs at Walgreens prior to school, and once they got their intern licenses, switched to become intern pharmacists at Walgreens.

Correction to my previous post: Actually, some schools will have rotations in community, ambulatory care, hospital, acute care, and your elective rotations (forgot about those). Our school has most of the 3rd year rotations in hospital (~800 hrs of 2 rotations in general medicine), and about 160 hours in community (with a focus on diabetes management), and three elective rotations (choosing from peds, cardio, oncology, surg, infectious disease, etc.)