Other PGY2 transfer unique situation, Verbal confirmation at a uni program need to disclose to current pd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anusha_jain55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I sincerely need advice, I am in PGY1 IM about to complete a year, got offer from very good uni IM program almost verbal confirmation, need to disclose this to my current PD, in small community hospital, PD is unreasonable, malignant and has no human side. In short basically everything is confirmed except I need a release letter to ECFMG to get new j1 visa. This is a life time opportunity for me to get into fellowship and everything is perfect about new program.
I don't know how to approach to this inhuman person, would appreciate your valuable advice, it might change my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you sign a contract for a second year position? If yes, then you can't just wake up one day and say I got a better program so I want to walk. What happens to the PGY2 spot you leaving behind? Have you given them time to find a replacement and factor it into their schedules? And also You need to have a very good reason other than fellowship reasons because you knew this when u signed the contract. U will have to give compelling reasons like example wife is moving out of state for job, you need to move closer to family etc. And also note that when you have a contract you aren't supposed to be talking to other programs....so this is more complicated. I suggested talking to the faculty that you are most close to who you can trust about how to approach this. This is because they know you and know the PD and will give you best advice on how to approach this

I appreciate your response. I did sign contract, and I do have personal issues, I don't think there is any statement in contract which says we can not talk to other programs. I just have one question If I leave without permission of PD, then if I need a letter of release from him for j1 visa? or can he decided not to give internship completion certificate? I am in good standing so far.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
And also You need to have a very good reason other than fellowship reasons because you knew this when u signed the contract. U will have to give compelling reasons like example wife is moving out of state for job, you need to move closer to family etc.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Why is it somehow OK for somebody to leave a place they are unhappy with if the source of that unhappiness is their wife or family? But if you want to do anything to make yourself happy, that is somehow not allowed? I.e., it's ok for you to suffer, but you get a pass if your family is suffering? What about the people who aren't married/don't have kids? Why do the people who CHOOSE to get married and have kids get this perk of being able to play the 'family card' whenever they want something, whether it's more time off, schedule changes, or even switching to a new program?

In every other job in the world, if somebody treats you like garbage, you leave and find a new job, and hopefully the employer learns to treat his employees better. And even moreso, if an opportunity opens up to make more of yourself or follow your dreams (in this case to get into fellowship), you pursue it because nobody else is looking out for you but you and because if the program becomes dissatisfied with you, they'd have to qualms about giving you the axe. You are easily replaceable -- it's not like they will never be able to find anybody to take your place. That said, you need to give adequate notice that you are leaving because you will be hurting your peers who will have to cover for you until they find a replacement.

Also, wrong forum.

Oh exactly my point!, I apologize for wrong forum but in other forum which is for residency issues, people are busy discussing if they should have a dog or not loll. . I spoke with some of my peers they are able to take my floor for first couple of months.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Why is it somehow OK for somebody to leave a place they are unhappy with if the source of that unhappiness is their wife or family? But if you want to do anything to make yourself happy, that is somehow not allowed? I.e., it's ok for you to suffer, but you get a pass if your family is suffering? What about the people who aren't married/don't have kids? Why do the people who CHOOSE to get married and have kids get this perk of being able to play the 'family card' whenever they want something, whether it's more time off, schedule changes, or even switching to a new program?

In every other job in the world, if somebody treats you like garbage, you leave and find a new job, and hopefully the employer learns to treat his employees better. And even moreso, if an opportunity opens up to make more of yourself or follow your dreams (in this case to get into fellowship), you pursue it because nobody else is looking out for you but you and because if the program becomes dissatisfied with you, they'd have to qualms about giving you the axe. You are easily replaceable -- it's not like they will never be able to find anybody to take your place. That said, you need to give adequate notice that you are leaving because you will be hurting your peers who will have to cover for you until they find a replacement.

Also, wrong forum.

The rules goes both way and its to maintained sanity in the field. Otherwise once the new PD hires him, he could potentially fire him after two months if a stronger candidate pops up. Doesnt necessarily mean that I agree that it should be that way. But if the guy is seeking good advice here it is better to let him know what happens in real life, no need to sugar coat it.
If he goes to tell the so called malignant PD that he is leaving because he found a better program with better fellowship prospects....it is not going to fly (my guess).

I appreciate your response. I did sign contract, and I do have personal issues, I don't think there is any statement in contract which says we can not talk to other programs. I just have one question If I leave without permission of PD, then if I need a letter of release from him for j1 visa? or can he decided not to give internship completion certificate? I am in good standing so far.

If you are in good standing and have officially completed your first year the PD cant withhold your certificate.
U still need a letter of release for the J1 Visa. Without that letter the new program cant access yolur J1 Visa. If you resign ( to force the transfer), I doubt that they will continue to take responsibility of the J1 visa. I really hope it works out.

Oh exactly my point!, I apologize for wrong forum but in other forum which is for residency issues, people are busy discussing if they should have a dog or not loll. . I spoke with some of my peers they are able to take my floor for first couple of months.
nonetheless, that forum is for residency issues, this for postings (not sure why it hasn't been moved)…but you have talked to OTHER residents but have not told your PD….that is poor form…even if your PD was inclined to be nice to you, not telling him before others is not going to make it any easier.

are you off cycle? did you not started your pgy 2 year on the 1st?

yeah I did post in other forum as well but no one replied in general residency issues I don't know why, I am off cycle have some more time to finish 1st year, I know it is not a talk any PD wants to hear but I am telling him within a week of all situation has been changed. My main concern is J1 visa release letter not sure what will happen to that,

Actually you did have several replies in the Gen Res forum; it is against the TOS to cross post in a different forum.

Only your current PD can tell you whether they will sign a letter releasing you from your current signed PGY2 contract. Most PDs have no interest in pursuing legal action against residents who break contracts.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.