PGY1 in FM looking to switch to IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregstant

Reaction score
Hi all,
Long story short I ama new PGY1 in FM. I am also a US-IMG (non Carib). I applied FM and matched because it’s all I really had the opportunity to apply for based on the clinical experience I received. After starting with my inpatient block I’ve realized that I truly enjoy IM and adult hospital medicine, and I don’t feel the same way about clinic.
If anyone has any advice on how I can go about trying to get into an IM program that would be greatly appreciated. Cold emailing programs? Re-entering the match?
If I choose to try to get into ann IM program can I still keep my spot in my current FM program just in case? Any advice helps.

P.s. I will be taking Step 3 this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
Long story short I ama new PGY1 in FM. I am also a US-IMG (non Carib). I applied FM and matched because it’s all I really had the opportunity to apply for based on the clinical experience I received. After starting with my inpatient block I’ve realized that I truly enjoy IM and adult hospital medicine, and I don’t feel the same way about clinic.
If anyone has any advice on how I can go about trying to get into an IM program that would be greatly appreciated. Cold emailing programs? Re-entering the match?
If I choose to try to get into ann IM program can I still keep my spot in my current FM program just in case? Any advice helps.

P.s. I will be taking Step 3 this year.

You can practice hospital medicine after FM residency. There is also a hospitalist fellowship after FM.

Status
Not open for further replies.