PGY-1 Illinoisan Registering for Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonso

residency resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to IL state laws I am unable to register for Step 3 as a PGY 1 here. I've been told I can register in an outside state such as Maryland or Cali and take it in IL. But the very people who have told me this always tell me to make sure this works out in regards to licensing.

To your knowledge can you do this without issue?

I'll be doing PGY2-4 in Michigan.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Scratch that.

I can't imagine why it would be an issue.

I am going to wait another month and apply through Michigan (MI requirement: 6 months of post grad training)...

Due to IL state laws I am unable to register for Step 3 as a PGY 1 here. I've been told I can register in an outside state such as Maryland or Cali and take it in IL. But the very people who have told me this always tell me to make sure this works out in regards to licensing.

To your knowledge can you do this without issue?

I'll be doing PGY2-4 in Michigan.

Thank you

I just posted this in another thread. Register in any state you qualify like CA (almost no requirement). Nothing to do with your license any where. Schedule the exam in any prometric center you like (personal experience). USMLE put the exams with the same standard not the state boards. The other point is; if you register with one state like IL for example this will not help to expedite your license application at all. The licensing board will confirm your certificates and application forms exactly like any other candidate register for the exam in another state. Some states like NY needs you to apply for the license and the exam at the same time, this means that long time to confirm your application. If you are in hurry to take the exam go with CA. Good luck