personal statement for prelim year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlee

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've finished my personal statement for my application for anesthesiology. do i have to write another personal statement for my application for a prelim year in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm having the same problem. i'm currently working on my prelim personal statement as a variant of my main personal statement, just to give the programs an idea of what i'm planning on doing after internship. i've met people who have just sent in the same one personal statement, and they did just fine. i think it also depends on where you're willing to do your prelim year.

Most people just change their last sentence. For example, I applied for Rads and lots of PGY-1s--for the PGY-1 PS, I just added this sentence:

"With the help of a solid year of clinical medicine in your preliminary medicine program, I know I will acquire the skills necessary to succeed in my future profession"

Simple as that :). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
similar to Dr. Cuts, i just added an additonal paragraph (~4 sentences). describing what I want in a prelm program. the first went a lot like Dr.Cuts' sentence with the addition of a friendly environment, teamwork, comraderie, etc...basically, dont write an entire PS, just add a few lines at the end concerning why a prelim year will be beneficial to your success as a future resudent in XYZ...