Periodontics AAP Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lauren Berard

Reaction score
Hello!
I am a rising D3 student and have been trying to research AAP programs but some information has been very difficult to find. Are there any current dental students going through the match process or residents that can offer insight on types of programs (school based vs. hospital) and tuition prices? From what I’ve gathered some programs include a MS which makes sense that these include a certain tuition with the program. Are there any programs that offer the clinical certificate only and are not tuition-based? It seems only the 2 VA programs in the country are paid and do not require tuition but some programs- it’s difficult to tell (like URMC in Rochester) since they offer both options of just the certificate or both certificate & MS degree.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

look at the aap perio programs website.

most places charge tuition, some charge for an MS additionally.

VA and UCLA are basically the only ones I know of that pay you, maybe a handful of others.

If you are planning for PP, I think a masters is not worth very much imo

Reactions: 1 user

VA and UCLA are basically the only ones I know of that pay you, maybe a handful of others.

I also

Thank you for the reply! I have checked the website but all I have been able to find is a list of programs with links to their individual sites. Some program sites have specific tabs for tuition and fees but again, not very straightforward whether or not it is only if masters is completed as well, and some programs don’t even have a tab for tuition and fees (like URMC). I guess I’m having a hard time obtaining a solid detailed list including more information than the sole general and vague info on program sites and I’m sure students who have recently done this themselves, applied, & interviewed at specific programs would be the only ones to have that type of insider info.
From what I’ve gathered and read I agree about the MS degree.

Thank you!

• Haha
I interviewed at URMC last year and based on what the residents told me I think you get paid there as well and with a very minimal tuition. Some other programs in the south (UAB, MUSC, UTHSC) have a very small tuition amount and a bit of a stipend that basically cancel each other out. Reach out to current residents in different programs and you'll get some more accurate information.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the post.

Just curious but how much does perio residency typically cost?

I went to a random perio program website and I was shocked to find that tuition was 148 k for first year, 148k for second year and 128 k for third year for a perio residency.
This is out of control. That’s a total of >400k just for perio residency ?
Please tell me this is not the norm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the post.

I went to a random program website and I was shocked to find that tuition was 148 k for first year, 148k for second year and 128 k for third year for a perio residency.
This is out of control. That a total of >400k just for perio residency ?
What a complete scam

I went to a 4 year omfs program and we were paid during residency throughout the 4 years. Zero cost for tuition. The hospital also gave us 1-2 k a year I think for books/camera/computer etc.

Thanks for the post.

I went to a random perio program website and I was shocked to find that tuition was 148 k for first year, 148k for second year and 128 k for third year for a perio residency.
This is out of control. That’s a total of >400k just for perio residency ?
That's probably the highest end of costs for perio programs. They vary wildly, anywhere from being paid a hospital stipend to paying as much as you listed. Typically, I'd say the average cost is around 30-50k a year. It's similar to ortho programs cost wise.

Oh, and anyone paying 400k for perio is absolutely nuts, coming from a current perio resident. I couldn't fathom paying that for the life of me - no specialty is worth that.

Typically, I'd say the average cost is around 30-50k a year. It's similar to ortho programs cost wise.
Yes that’s definitely better.
I’m assuming the 30-50 k is for tuition, and does not include living expenses. Say 30 k a year for living expenses.

Regarding total cost of attendance were looking at probably 180k- 240k for a 3 year program. The lower range being in state public schools, vs out of state on the higher end.

I’m assuming the 30-50 k is for tuition, and does not include living expenses. Say 30 k a year for living expenses.

Regarding total cost of attendance were looking at probably 180k- 240k for a 3 year program. The lower range being in state public schools, vs out of state on the higher end.
Yup, I'd say that's accurate. Some out of state schools will let you convert to in-state tuition after one year, so even lower for those.

honestly its ridiculous at some of these programs. I strongly advise anyone applying to not apply to those expensive schools, esp in perio.

It takes quite a bit of time to build up referrals etc once you graduate in perio, so you are not making money immediately out either to pay those big loans

I went to a 4 year omfs program and we were paid during residency throughout the 4 years. Zero cost for tuition. The hospital also gave us 1-2 k a year I think for books/camera/computer etc.
That’s a big advantage of oral surgery, or maybe pediatrics people don’t talk about it enough

How much does the 3-year Perio program at an expensive private Ivy League school like Harvard or Columbia cost? Is it worth it?

Unfortunately you'll need to research schools yourself. I made an Excel file which compared tuition, stipends, number of surgical cases, implants, VA hospital associated, required masters, and more. It's time intensive but well worth it and will really help you determine which programs to apply to.

On a side note, I think it's crazy that there is such a discrepancy between programs in terms of cost. Augusta doesn't charge any tuition and provides a $20k/yr stipend, while USC charges $100k+ /yr and I believe no stipend.

Why does OMFS get paid $50k/yr, while most other residencies get nothing?

Reactions: 1 users
No resident should be paying anything. At the very least it should be free. All residents should be paid a salary.

For someone to pay 400 k to do perio or ortho residency, is just too much. That’s out of control.

PhD candidates doing research get paid salaries.

• Dislike

GPR, peds, and OMFS are GME funded, meaning that the government pays hospitals to take on these residents because there is a public health need that residents in these fields fulfill. Technically speaking, non-hospital based dental specialties are not really residencies but rather certificate programs. There are a few exceptions to this rule, which is why there are a small number of endo/perio/ortho programs that do get paid

GPR, peds, and OMFS are GME funded, meaning that the government pays hospitals to take on these residents because there is a public health need that residents in these fields fulfill. Technically speaking, non-hospital based dental specialties are not really residencies but rather certificate programs. There are a few exceptions to this rule, which is why there are a small number of endo/perio/ortho programs that do get paid
There needs to be a fundamental restructuring on how dental education is conducted, especially regarding the cost of attendance and tuition.

Yes GME funds omfs. But to hear that it costs up to 400 k or more to become a periodontist or orthodontist… where 180-250 k is considered good?

It’s shameful that dental education has gotten to this point (with the exception of omfs).

I remember when I was a omfs resident. On medicine rotation I met a lot of internal medicine residents who were foreign medical graduates. A good number of them were here on a visa, not even a permanent resident. And they are paid a salary.

There needs to be a fundamental restructuring on how dental education is conducted, especially regarding the cost of attendance and tuition.

Yes GME funds omfs. But to hear that it costs up to 400 k or more to become a periodontist or orthodontist… where 180-250 k is considered good?

It’s shameful that dental education has gotten to this point (with the exception of omfs).

I remember when I was a omfs resident. On medicine rotation I met a lot of internal medicine residents who were foreign medical graduates. A good number of them were here on a visa, not even a permanent resident. And they are paid a salary.
facts.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

I've spoken to quite a few medical colleagues who told me they would simply never pursue residency if they had to pay tuition again after med school

Unfortunately you'll need to research schools yourself. I made an Excel file which compared tuition, stipends, number of surgical cases, implants, VA hospital associated, required masters, and more. It's time intensive but well worth it and will really help you determine which programs to apply to.

On a side note, I think it's crazy that there is such a discrepancy between programs in terms of cost. Augusta doesn't charge any tuition and provides a $20k/yr stipend, while USC charges $100k+ /yr and I believe no stipend.

Was this for perio residencies? Would you be willing to share this? TIA

Look closely at smaller southern and midwestern programs to have lower tuition and small stipends. They aren’t always listed on the website clearly. They will tend to be more affordable than coastal program, sometimes by a huge margin.

Hello!
I am a rising D3 student and have been trying to research AAP programs but some information has been very difficult to find. Are there any current dental students going through the match process or residents that can offer insight on types of programs (school based vs. hospital) and tuition prices? From what I’ve gathered some programs include a MS which makes sense that these include a certain tuition with the program. Are there any programs that offer the clinical certificate only and are not tuition-based? It seems only the 2 VA programs in the country are paid and do not require tuition but some programs- it’s difficult to tell (like URMC in Rochester) since they offer both options of just the certificate or both certificate & MS degree.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
University of Rochester is a paid program since it has GME funding through the hospital. Tuition is a nominal amount. I think Military/VA Programs, Mayo, URMC, and UCLA are the only ones which pay you to attend the program. The rest have tuition and/or minor stipend along with the tuition.

I would contact programs directly with any questions you may have about costs to attend however.

University of Rochester is a paid program since it has GME funding through the hospital. Tuition is a nominal amount. I think Military/VA Programs, Mayo, URMC, and UCLA are the only ones which pay you to attend the program. The rest have tuition and/or minor stipend along with the tuition.

I would contact programs directly with any questions you may have about costs to attend however.
Are you a perio resident by any chance?