Perio Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pelotari

Pelotari
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm finishing a research paper for my Biology II class. I'm working on the pathology of Porphyromonas gingivalis. As an introduction to my paper I'm trying to explain the swelling of gums -> tooth loss domino effect that this bacteria may cause in someone's mouth.

The closest statement I found to explain this is the following:

"Plaque bacteria elaborate various compounds (H2S, NH3, amines, toxins, enzymes, antigens, etc.) that cause an inflammatory response that is protective but also responsible for loss of periodontal tissue, pocket formation, and loosening and loss of teeth."

My question is, why? Why is it responsible for loss of perio tissue? What does P. gingivalis do to your mouth that causes the gums to swell, then separate from your teeth, create pockets, destroy perio ligaments and bone, and then lose teeth? Why does it "eat-up" your bone and why do your gums recede?

Can someone explain this domino effect with a bit more detail ?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Pelotari said:
Hi,

I'm finishing a research paper for my Biology II class. I'm working on the pathology of Porphyromonas gingivalis. As an introduction to my paper I'm trying to explain the swelling of gums -> tooth loss domino effect that this bacteria may cause in someone's mouth.

The closest statement I found to explain this is the following:

"Plaque bacteria elaborate various compounds (H2S, NH3, amines, toxins, enzymes, antigens, etc.) that cause an inflammatory response that is protective but also responsible for loss of periodontal tissue, pocket formation, and loosening and loss of teeth."

My question is, why? Why is it responsible for loss of perio tissue? What does P. gingivalis do to your mouth that causes the gums to swell, then separate from your teeth, create pockets, destroy perio ligaments and bone, and then lose teeth? Why does it "eat-up" your bone and why do your gums recede?

Can someone explain this domino effect with a bit more detail ?

Thanks in advance.

Bacteria release toxins to break down the surrounding tissue and use it for nutrients. Then they can multiply and make little junior bacteria. Junior grows up and does the same thing. The more bacteria the more destruction takes place. This causes inflammation that brings host cells to the area which in turn causes even more destruction. And thus the cycle continues.