PennVet c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there supposed to be an update before the holiday?
The last email from them said don’t expect anything before mid January, but apparently they say that every year and sometimes updates do go out in December.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!! Best of luck to all of this years applicants :) I know there are a few of us current students on here, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask or reach out
Can you please tell me how you go about traveling to the two different animal hospitals in two different cities while attending UPenn?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you please tell me how you go about traveling to the two different animal hospitals in two different cities while attending UPenn?
Hi there! Current V25 (third year) here about to start LA block (not in the new curriculum) so I will be traveling to NBC almost daily from January to March. Most people have cars to commute out there and those that do not carpool with friends/classmates. Every class has their own GroupMe where people can ask for rides/ offer rides, etc. The drive honestly isn't terrible, about 45 minutes to an hour depending on time of day, traffic, how fast you drive, and if you stop at Starbucks/Dunks/Wawa for coffee on the way. I find it a good way to de-stress - I usually put on some music and sing really loud 😆

During your first two years, you don't go out to NBC too much. For my class it was honestly like 2-3 times a semester, although some people (me) spent more time out there with things like Surgery Crew, wet labs, research, and work. Not sure how much it is for the new curriciulum, hopefully someone on here can speak to that! The only time you'll be required to spend and extended period of time at NBC is during clinics where you will have 3 week rotations. However, you won't be required to be anywhere else (class or Ryan Hospital) at that time. There are dorms for you to live in at NBC during your rotation so you won't have to commute from Philly daily. Some people, depending on their major (large animal majors) will move out to near NBC since most of their rotations will be out there and commute to Philly for the small amount of rotations they have there.

For both my curriculum and the new curriculum, they seem to have done a really good job of giving you time to get to NBC (please V26 + V27 feel free to refute that!). I know sometimes you'll have class in the AM and then have to go to NBC in the afternoon. You will have ample time to get out there, so don't worry too much about that!

Hope this helps!

Hi there! Current V25 (third year) here about to start LA block (not in the new curriculum) so I will be traveling to NBC almost daily from January to March. Most people have cars to commute out there and those that do not carpool with friends/classmates. Every class has their own GroupMe where people can ask for rides/ offer rides, etc. The drive honestly isn't terrible, about 45 minutes to an hour depending on time of day, traffic, how fast you drive, and if you stop at Starbucks/Dunks/Wawa for coffee on the way. I find it a good way to de-stress - I usually put on some music and sing really loud 😆

During your first two years, you don't go out to NBC too much. For my class it was honestly like 2-3 times a semester, although some people (me) spent more time out there with things like Surgery Crew, wet labs, research, and work. Not sure how much it is for the new curriciulum, hopefully someone on here can speak to that! The only time you'll be required to spend and extended period of time at NBC is during clinics where you will have 3 week rotations. However, you won't be required to be anywhere else (class or Ryan Hospital) at that time. There are dorms for you to live in at NBC during your rotation so you won't have to commute from Philly daily. Some people, depending on their major (large animal majors) will move out to near NBC since most of their rotations will be out there and commute to Philly for the small amount of rotations they have there.

For both my curriculum and the new curriculum, they seem to have done a really good job of giving you time to get to NBC (please V26 + V27 feel free to refute that!). I know sometimes you'll have class in the AM and then have to go to NBC in the afternoon. You will have ample time to get out there, so don't worry too much about that!

Hope this helps!
Can you please tell me how you go about traveling to the two different animal hospitals in two different cities while attending
for sure second all of this!! our first semester in this curriculum I think I went out to NBC 5 or so times (NOT including things I chose to do electively) -- I would expect next semester to be the same!

Definitely emphasize the de-stress time that the drive allows, I personally enjoy it and love spending time out there since it is such a different vibe than the city.

In terms of how we do it, we drive! A number of classmates have cars and we all carpool for the days that multiple groups are out there. Generally, if you have lab that day in Philly, they start at 1, but if you are out at NBC they start at 2 (lunch is from 12-1) so I have never had a problem with timing. Hope that helps!

Thank you,

ButterflyEffectt and sheepcowdoghorse23

One more question, please....I understand part of the school is considered a "big city". How safe do you feel in the area to live and attend school? Were you both already from cities and used to the culture?

Has anyone heard anything or contacted admissions for when we are expected to hear?

I think they’ve released some decisions on Jan 5th in the past

Thank you,

One more question, please....I understand part of the school is considered a "big city". How safe do you feel in the area to live and attend school? Were you both already from cities and used to the culture?
I know I am not who you were asking but I am a current second year so I thought I would chime in. I grew up in the suburbs of a much smaller city then attended undergrad at a small rural school. So moving out to Philly was my first time living in a city. I have never had any problems or safety concerns while living here. University City (the area the vet school is located in) is usually safe and Penn has their own police department the patrols the area as well.

Does anyone know how many IS applicants Penn will typically interview/accept? I know Penn is sadly like the one school with a lower preference for IS but just curious...

Does anyone know how many IS applicants Penn will typically interview/accept? I know Penn is sadly like the one school with a lower preference for IS but just curious...
The incoming class is 124 Total with 82 oos, which leaves 42 in state. I would guess the interviews would be at least 2-3 times those numbers

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The incoming class is 124 Total with 82 oos, which leaves 42 in state. I would guess the interviews would be at least 2-3 times those numbers
Do they have posted how many applied last year? I’m curious to see their numbers compared to some of the other schools I applied too.

Do they have posted how many applied last year? I’m curious to see their numbers compared to some of the other schools I applied too.
In last years thread it was shared that they had about 1600 apps

Didn't someone say that email invitations to interview were sent out on the 5th of January for the last two years? Has anyone received anything?

Didn't someone say that email invitations to interview were sent out on the 5th of January for the last two years? Has anyone received anything?
They did apparently send some out on the 5th last year, but they also had sent another wave in December- and they didn’t do that this year!!! I’m getting so anxious I was hoping to hear something today.

I wonder if they're sending interview offers all at once in mid-January and dropping the wave system they used previously. I feel like it's less stressful for us if they do it that way.

Last year they sent one wave out in December before Christmas, and then started back up the second week of January and pretty much sent them out once weekly on Thursdays until the end of February. They sent (I’m pretty sure) out a total of three waves of denial letters. I was rejected February 27th without an interview. It seems like they are doing things a bit differently this year, so I wonder if they are just going to send out interview dates all at once or do weekly waves again. I am IS

Any chance we’ll hear something this week? I’m getting so anxious!

Any chance we’ll hear something this week? I’m getting so anxious!
also feeling so anxious!! their initial email back in September did say they’d send invites mid-January so we may have to wait another week or so

Reactions: 1 users
I dont think they have sent anything out yet. Eagerly awaiting since Penn is my IS!

I reached out around the holidays and was told they would update applicants mid- January.

Reactions: 5 users
If I have to hear the word "mid-January" one more time after this application cycle I might spontaneously combust

Reactions: 9 users
If I have to hear the word "mid-January" one more time after this application cycle I might spontaneously combust
Tell me about it! I’ve been rejected from five programs and waiting on only three more, two of which just said “mid-January” it has me in a constant state of anxiety!

Reactions: 4 users
PennVet is the last school I haven't heard from in some way or another. I hope for good news soon!

My prediction is tomorrow or Tuesday... They're the most (tw) "mid-January" operating weekday dates. With Monday the 15th being MLK day I doubt they'll be in office sending emails.

Does anyone have any information on the average base salary of a companion animal DVM graduating from UPENN..for the first year

If we don't get emails today and have to wait for at least a whole weekend I miiiight go a little bit bonkers

Reactions: 3 users
If we don't get emails today and have to wait for at least a whole weekend I miiiight go a little bit bonkers

My heart rate is just constantly high from the anxiety. I’m obsessed with my email notification sound and just wait all day everyday for something

My heart rate is just constantly high from the anxiety. I’m obsessed with my email notification sound and just wait all day everyday for something
I feel the same way, I’ve been so nauseous all week. I find myself refreshing my email/SDN/facebook almost obsessively. Even if I’m rejected I just want to know!

Well it’s 5… another weekend of waiting 😂
Michigan State sent me an email at 6:30 once, and Minnesota sent my rejection two days after Christmas when I thought the school was on break- I don’t relax until it’s dark out 😂

• Wow
Michigan State sent me an email at 6:30 once, and Minnesota sent my rejection two days after Christmas when I thought the school was on break- I don’t relax until it’s dark out 😂
same on the Minnesota 😭 I was totally not expecting it

emoji854.png
i so feel this omg
idk my gut tells me it’s not gonna be today

i so feel this omg
idk my gut tells me it’s not gonna be today
Me too, I'm not sure if it's the impatience or actual intuition but I've been saying its gonna be Friday all week

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you,

So I don't come from a big city (I'm from New Hampshire) but did do my first undergrad in Providence, RI (which isn't a big city but definitely had similar aspects to Philly). I don't feel unsafe here, especially in UCity, where the vet school is. There are lots of Penn Police patrolling the area and usually there are other people out and about, especially when the undergrads are in school.

That being said, we definitely get Penn Notifications about robberies and assaults and break-ins and stuff in the area (not very frequently, probably a couple times a month at most), so it does happen. But honestly, my roommate and I have walked from Center City back to UCity (like a 30-45 minute walk) at like 2am after leaving the bar and we were fine sooooo (don't recommend doing that often, do as I say not as I do 😉). There are certain parts of the city that you do want to avoid though. I'd say if you live in UCity don't go too far outside where the Penn Police patrol (I think it's like 44th/45th going west and Market and Baltimore going north and south, respectively... don't 100% quote me on that though). That's just a loose rule, I have friends who live on 46th and they're fine. I currently live below (south of) Baltimore near Clark Park, along with many of PennVet's interns/residents/other students and have walked (power walked, really) to my friends apartment at 4am and been fine too. Also a lot of my classmates live in Center City (Rittenhouse, Grad Hospital, etc.) and really seem to enjoy it there.

Just like living in any other place, you just have to use your judgement and be smart when going out, especially if you're going out alone at night. Hope this helps!

Does anyone have any information on the average base salary of a companion animal DVM graduating from UPENN..for the first year
If you go into practice it's consistent with industry standards and the area that you are practicing in. You will not get paid less/more for graduating from a certain university.

Anyone thinking today? Or maybe tomorrow because of the holiday?