peds tox article?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM OR BUST

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in my last week of med school doing a forensic path rotation, and my attending decided I should give a 15 min lecture on Common household items that can kill children. Her husband is a EM doc, and she says he had an article on this topic from his tox month. Anyone ever see this article or know of one like it? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Im in my last week of med school doing a forensic path rotation, and my attending decided I should give a 15 min lecture on Common household items that can kill children. Her husband is a EM doc, and she says he had an article on this topic from his tox month. Anyone ever see this article or know of one like it? Thanks.

There is an article from Annals from a few years back called something like "One or two pills can kill." I'm not sure in that is the one he is talking about.

"One pill can kill" is a recurring theme ever since Joe Lex gave the original talk in 1998. I think his powerpoint is available on-line (but the talk is well known, so "borrow" with caution) here: http://www.medlectures.com/Emergency Medicine Lectures/Toxicology Lectures/Toddler Toxicology.ppt

The original article was by Koren: Koren G. Medications which can kill a toddler with one tablet or spoonful. Clin Toxicol 1993;31:407–13

but Matteucci redid it: (Pediatr Ann. 2005 Dec;34(12):964-8. One pill can kill: assessing the potential for fatal poisonings in children. Matteucci MJ.) as did some Mayo docs: ( Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;22(4):1019-50. Deadly pediatric poisons: nine common agents that kill at low doses. Michael JB, Sztajnkrycer MD.)

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those too lazy to look up the articles this is the list I have in my PDA.

benzocaine
camphor
chloroquine
chlorpromazine
codeine
desipramine
lomotiL
hydrocarbons
imipramine
adult iron tablets
lindane
wintergreen