Pediatrics positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pisekar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for one of my close friend.

He is a foreign medical graduate and he currently works at a program for a pediatrics subspecialty. He is going to finish his fellowship this July (2021). He applied to general pediatrics programs for this match, however he only has one interview at his home institution and it is a very competitive program. If he does not match, he is planning to apply for SOAP, however SOAP can be a difficult process for foreign graduates.

His question is, is there any other possibilities or other positions for general pediatrics outside of match? Can he look for vacancies for PGY-2 positions? He already completed pediatrics residency in his home country.

Appreciate any answers.

Members don't see this ad.

This question is for one of my close friend.

He is a foreign medical graduate and he currently works at a program for a pediatrics subspecialty. He is going to finish his fellowship this July (2021). He applied to general pediatrics programs for this match, however he only has one interview at his home institution and it is a very competitive program. If he does not match, he is planning to apply for SOAP, however SOAP can be a difficult process for foreign graduates.

His question is, is there any other possibilities or other positions for general pediatrics outside of match? Can he look for vacancies for PGY-2 positions? He already completed pediatrics residency in his home country.

Appreciate any answers.
I'm not sure your question. He's already in the US doing subspecialty training but hasn't done a pediatric residency and needs to go back and get that done to be credentialed in the US? Well, the times I've seen this, generally the home program takes them cause they already know them unless there is some major issue. Outside of that, there are quite a number of programs that go unfilled annually that people could scramble into:

I'm interpreting this as your friend being a research fellow and not a clinical fellow completing subspecialty training. Is that correct? If that's correct, then the only option after the SOAP is to look for unfilled positions or vacated positions after the match and going into the academic year. They would not be able to come in as a PGY-2 to my knowledge but the program might consider giving up the PGY-2 spot to take him as an additional PGY-1 if they can't fill the PGY-2 spot (though I don't know how likely that is). The Association of Pediatric Program Directors has a job board where these frequently get posted.