Pediatric Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dochubert

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in practicing Cardiology, but during my recent rotation in Surgery, I began getting more interested in Peds as well. The few sites that I have looked at so far for Pediatric Cardiology look like they all require 3-5 years after a Medicine residency. Also, they all appear to have 1-2 years of research requirements. Does anyone know if it is possible to do Peds Cardio without the extra years of research? Unlike many of my classmates, I just do not have a calling to do research and would much rather spend the extra year or two in the patient care setting. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps I'm way off, but I thought Peds Cardiology was a fellowship following a Pediatric residency? Usually 3 years, including a significant research component, and then optional fellowships in critical care, EP, interventional, echo, etc.

Quite right. Peds Cardio follows Peds, not IM. I appreciate the desire not to do lots of research, but it can't really be avoided in the smaller Peds subspecialties. Not much call for private practice Peds Cardio, Peds Critical Care, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
peds cardiology is generally a 3 yr fellowship after 3 years of pediatrics. Of course there are some five year programs out there that just have more significant research requirements. I think that all fellowships in all specialties have research requirements during the fellowship. I imagine that community programs may have a little less research required, but there still is some, it has to do with getting accredidation for their fellowship. I think that they do that to ensure that fellows are up to date on recent research and can evaluate new research, and to help advance their respective field with cheap labor.

Thanks for the info...

What is the slary like for a peds cardio?

Originally posted by jkin
What is the slary like for a peds cardio?

private practice: Have echo will travel. Could make 350-400k / yr in the ultimate group ( and take call EVERY night since you won't have a partner to sap your income ) Probably earn 200-250 in a nice established group, depending on what percentage of your patients are medicaid

academic : 100 K/ yr

Don't want to do research? I seem to remember my cards cohorts at Baylor being on service continuously and taking call a lot of nights every month, which we generally got a break from.
It's still 3 years and you still need to do your research requirements. Some places probably give more protected time. I seem to remember them bitching about having to do research but not having time. I saw a lot of PGY6 fellows on service so I think they still took a very heavy clinical load. Me by example : I did 13 clinical months out of 36!!! ( and I volunteered to do an extra month because it was supposed to be only 12! )

if you have to do a 3 yr fellowship AND you need to produce research to sit for your boards AND you need to be board certified to get a job, then you want enough protected research time, or a very established research machine to help you.

Trust me : take your research months when they are offered. You have no idea hard those cards fellows worked. You need some easy months

100K for academic is way too low. 150 to 200 more like it. start 100-120 most likely.