Pediatric Boards 2020 - Take it or Defer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perigirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

With ABP's most recent email, I am wondering people's thoughts on taking the board exam this year vs. taking it October 2021 because of COVID.

Members don't see this ad.

what are you doing this year? if you are in fellowship, you have a higher chance of getting more blocked off time this year than next year. my vote is that if you are ready, get it out of the way. it is such a huge weight lifted when you actually do pass.

what are you doing this year? if you are in fellowship, you have a higher chance of getting more blocked off time this year than next year. my vote is that if you are ready, get it out of the way. it is such a huge weight lifted when you actually do pass.

Depends on the fellowship. I think I had significantly more 'free' time during the early part of second year, because my fellowship is significantly front-loaded.

That said, I wouldn't want to try to study gen peds stuff to remember while also trying to learn the intricacies of my specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!

With ABP's most recent email, I am wondering people's thoughts on taking the board exam this year vs. taking it October 2021 because of COVID.
I won’t be board eligible until next year but I’m curious, what did the email say?

I am in a general academic pediatrics fellowship (research fellowship) so I can have time off both ways.

the email offered the option of taking it this year or taking it next year and those who have registered this year can get the full money back