PCOM-PA vs VCOM Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dulgz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PCOM-PA: 2 year masters (can leave after 1 year if desired and will earn a certificate), >3.0 GPA in program gives guaranteed interview for their DO program

VCOM: 1 year certificate program, guaranteed admission to VCOM DO program upon meeting criteria during December and March benchmarks with lowest criteria being 3.5 GPA and 495 MCAT (More info here)

My stats:
With grade replacement was cGPA 3.36, sGPA 3.39
MCAT 489 (retaking in July)
cGPA 3.13 when calcualted AMCAS way

I was recently accepted to both programs and I am trying to decide which is a better choice for me. I'll be moving from OOS for either program so that isn't much of a factor. I know a lot of people on here have either been in these programs, have friends who did them, or some just know a lot about them so I would like to hear what people have to say in order to help me decide. I've used the search function and gathered some opinions regarding each program but I'd like to just make a dedicated discussion between the two as I've see others also making this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM
Pros: I'm sure PCOM admissions likes to pull students from their post bacc program and they also still honor grade replacement which I would be taking full advantage of when applying to their medical school as a post bacc student. I keep getting told by friends that PCOM is more prestigious making it an easy decision. Living in a city could be cool
Cons: I know all of these post baccs will be very intense but I've heard that PCOM's curriculum in particular is very difficult. Working so hard for an interview rather than an acceptance makes VCOM more appealing.

VCOM
Pros: VCOM's guaranteed admission if you meet the criteria seems a lot safer. I've heard only great things about the program from current and previous students. Students seem more collaborative in helping everyone succeed which I'm big into.
Cons: In both programs you earn a certificate after 1 year but PCOM offers the option to do an additional year to earn a masters degree. Heard the school in the middle of nowhere? I'd have to look more into this.

how do you know what schools still do grade replacement?

Members don't see this ad :)