PCCM advice for incoming intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flabs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to get some input and advice regarding my application strengths/weaknesses and things I can do over the coming year or two.

As I stated, I'll be starting my internship at a mid-tier University program in a few months. My stats: DO, 88/99/no step 3 yet, 4 PCCM papers at a top research program prior to medical school (2 first authors), and 2 Onc papers during medical school (1 first author), along with 6 posters.

I would really love to stay on the west coast for fellowship. I plan on applying to all the players, in particular: UCSD, UCLA, LLUMC, Cedars, USC, UCSF, UCD, OHSU, UW, Stanford - with a strong desire towards the programs in norcal and the pacific NW.

Any ideas whether being a DO is going to restrict me from any of these places (ie. Stanford, UW, OHSU, UCLA)? I'm pretty sure UCSF will use my app to prop up the wobbly table they use to review other applications :)

I really enjoy academic medicine and ideally want to stay in it - hence the research background - so should I try to get into a project my intern year? If so, should I start now, or wait to get my feet wet with internship and try to find something then? I want to be proactive about it, but don't want to be overwhelmed intern year either?

Thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.