PCAT Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
This is my first posting on any forum, so bear with me. I have done numerous searches regarding the chemistry portion of the PCAT, so I know that there isn't a periodic table. However, my question is how in depth are the chemistry questions? Do we need to know any constants (gas law constant, Plancks, etc)? I guess I am really concerned considering it has been six years since I have taken general chemistry. Thank you for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick up a few PCAT books, Kaplan has one, and most contain practice exams. This is probably the best way to prepare. I know General Chem is focused on more than Organic, so I wouldn't study too much organic, just focus on the general sections. I wish I could remember what the exact questions were but it's been over a year since I took it. Maybe someone on here who has taken it recently can be of more service. Books though are essential. Maybe shop over at amazon.com for new or used books, its usually cheap and I have never had a problem with third party sellers.

I took the PCAT in October 2003. I had Gen Chem in 97-98..so it was about 6 years for me as well. I studied using the chemistry outline and practice questions in 2 PCAT books--Barron's and Peterson's. I went through the outlines and made sure I knew the definitions, equations, etc. Turned out the practice problems in these books were way more in depth than the PCAT. I remember only having to do calculations for like 3-4 problems out of what were there? 60 questions...something like that. Almost all of it was concepts and definitions, which easily can be reviewed. My review method of using those 2 books (and looking up the topics I forgot in my chem text) got me a 95 on the chem section. Good luck and don't stress out too much. It wasn't a hard section.

I got a 98 on my pcat chem.

I will admit though that I had a very strong foundation in gen chem as I aced my AP in high school (5)..

but .. it had been 4 years since I had taken gen chem, when i took the pcat

i strongly favor princeton review books as they seem to be pretty accurate, as far as similarity in form, structure, and grading yourself.

i got two for the pcats.. princeton review and barons.. and started going through both about a month before......

there werent very many calculations that i found, but it would be a good idea to go over them....

and i found it focused a lot more on gen than ochem... maybe get a cliffnotes apchem book.. i had one of those laying around and it helped as well.. just to look over everything

Thank you for all of your input! Now I just need to try and remember a little calc, and find a clinical pharmacist to shadow!!! However, I don't nearly have as strong of a foundation in the gen chem as you Mags! I think I will pick up a few of the chem cliffs notes, and perhaps even a geometry cliffs notes as well. If you have any suggestions on how to prepare (study schedule, as I have graduated from college already) and whatnot, feel free to share! Thanks again for the help and support, it is definately needed!