PAT- Aperture Passing and Orthographic Proj

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pookiepie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to study for these two parts of the PAT. I look at the examples and think, 'oh, not too bad.' Then i go to take an actual practice exam and get 3/10 correct. I've got everything else down solid except for the aperture passing and the orthographic projections. Im so frustrated!! I have both Barrons and the Kaplan book. Any hints????

Members don't see this ad.

Keep practicing. Thats really the only advice anybody could offer. Do you go to kaplan? Go watch the video, that may help

Pookie,

I assume by aperture passing you mean the key & hole section (it also helps thinking about it this way).
there are many rule in doing those, but i mention the ones that had problems with.

1. look for all the corners and notches. Thats how usually the answer choices differ from each other.
2. the object and drawings are drwan to the same scale.
3. BEFORE looking at answer choices, in your mind, imagine how the object would look from top, bottom, right, left, front and behind.

And i assume by orthographic projections you mean the Front-Top-front View. The way i did those was that i thought of each outline as if i was looking at a map of a room or a house from above or side. look around the room that you are sitting in right now, DRAW how y'd see this if you were to draw its map from above, do the same for end and front views. do the same for your car, a chair, PC, pen, etc.... that should help you out.

hope this helps.

Comet

I have a few suggestions to give for the ortho proj part based on my DAT studying and also my engineering background. The first thing I do is eliminate answers that don't show the right number of solid or dotted lines or the lines are not in the right spot. You can project lines from one view directly across or down to see where they should lie. Also, always note the size of the object....do the two sides correctly match the sides of the two images given. The test seems to use a lot of dotted/solid line answers. Usually, the last few answers comes down to finding what is hidden or solid in a view. Lastly, as everyone else says...practice is key. To start with, draw the projected views to "train" your mind to visualize. Hope this helps!