PAs and NPs in interventional radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-of-all-trades

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the scope of practice for PAs in IR? NPs? Is there certain procedures that PAs can do but NPs can't and vice versa?

I am a current nursing student and am planning on becoming a PA or NP after nursing school and I am very interested in interventional radiology. There is not much information (not that I can find at least) on what PAs and NPs actually do in this field.

I hope I can find some information on this field for PAs and NPs! Thanks in advance for the replies!

Members don't see this ad.

As and RN i've spent many a nights with ER patients in IR. On occasion there was a PA helping the resident and attending. The hospital i worked for at the time time had a MD and a PA school and preferred PAs over NPs to some extent, but their scope of practice would be equal in an IR setting.

All i ever saw them do was preform the initial venous/arterial punctures and set up the access ports. They were always next to or very near by to the attending docs. They would occasionally leave to put in orders or take a pager call.

The only cases i ever saw were emergent. So i don't know how an average day would be or how hard it is to get into the specialty.

As and RN i've spent many a nights with ER patients in IR. On occasion there was a PA helping the resident and attending. The hospital i worked for at the time time had a MD and a PA school and preferred PAs over NPs to some extent, but their scope of practice would be equal in an IR setting.

All i ever saw them do was preform the initial venous/arterial punctures and set up the access ports. They were always next to or very near by to the attending docs. They would occasionally leave to put in orders or take a pager call.

The only cases i ever saw were emergent. So i don't know how an average day would be or how hard it is to get into the specialty.
Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user
What is the scope of practice for PAs in IR? NPs? Is there certain procedures that PAs can do but NPs can't and vice versa?

I am a current nursing student and am planning on becoming a PA or NP after nursing school and I am very interested in interventional radiology. There is not much information (not that I can find at least) on what PAs and NPs actually do in this field.

I hope I can find some information on this field for PAs and NPs! Thanks in advance for the replies!

The PA/NP in IR I've worked with did procedures that were mentioned above (paracentesis, thoracentesis, PICC lines, dialysis catheters, PEG tubes, chemoports) which are fun to do and when you become a master at it, is great because it becomes very routine and easy. The radiation exposure sucks, but oh well, cover your privates with lead. We did have a PA that did fluoro studies and generated reports that were cosigned by the attending.