Parallel from the Pharmacy forums about why oversupply can be a good thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shnurek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now seeing the positives of hypercompetitive pharmacy job market. I no longer have to try hard to hire mediocre unqualified lazy ass unmotivated pharmacists. The cream rises to the top and now we can pick and choose better prepared and self motivated pharmacists. No shortage of highly trained pgy1s and pgy2s flooding our classified with CVs.

Same things are going on with pretty much all professions right now. So don't think by doing Optometry you will be taking the easy way out. Or you might just end up being 200k in debt and have no job offers in the end other than Walmart or none at all depending if you pass the boards. The boards keep getting more challenging and more clinically oriented. There is now a single testing site where all new ODs have to take their Step 3 so there will be no subjective discrepancies between sites in where every move you make is videotaped.

Getting a professional/doctorate degree is no longer a guarantee that you will be successful. (see: lawyers) The cream will rise to the top and I know of a few people with ODs that never passed the boards because they don't have normal spacial reasoning ability and can't hold a 90D lens correctly for example. And they are usually the ones that do amazing in the classroom but when it comes to the clinic, the tide turns. Just a heads up.

Members don't see this ad.

Most students are well capable of passing the boards and since there is no mandatory residency as long as you pass, even after multiple attempts, you are licensed to practice and no one will care. Boards might prevent few graduates from entering the profession but would not put a dent into the oversupply, only answer is mandatory residency. That is the main reason there is not a oversupply of MDs, think about it there are so many med schools, why do students think twice about going to Caribbean schools because they fear that they won't match.