Technology Palm Treo Pro - Windows Mobile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJosephKim

Advisor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that others have not already started discussing this great phone. I used to have an older Treo for many years. This new Treo Pro looks like it's the best Treo yet. It runs Windows Mobile, has a built-in GPS, has wi-fi, and it's not very bulky!

I currently use an XV6800 with Verizon, but if I were on AT&T, I'd probably switch to the Treo Pro.

When you look for a PDA and/or smartphone:

1. Always get a touch screen device so that you can effectively run important applications such as epocrates.

2. Go for Windows Mobile. the Palm OS has been dying a slow death.

3. Get a device that has Wi-Fi. This way, even if you don't purchase a data plan, you can still use your PDA/phone in the hospital during your rotations.

4. Get a built-in hardware keyboard. Here is where the iPhone falls short. When you're using certain applications, it really helps to have an actual keyboard.

5. Get something where you can easily remove the battery. Once again, here is where the iPhone falls short. During some of your overnight rotations, you may want to have a spare battery with you - since you may never get the chance to plug your phone in and charge it.

Members don't see this ad.

palm OS is still the easiest and fastest to use and the PIM applications are superior to anything out there.

not sure which will be better the treo 800w or the treo pro - both with wifi, both windoze mob, i want a centro.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reality is that the Palm OS is dying. That's why Palm used Windows Mobile on their latest (and best) Treo.

Now if you're a Mac user, then it's a different story comparing Windows Mobile with the iPhone...

Palm OS may be fading but there is no other stock PIM software out there that can match it's ease of use and excellent implementation

palm OS is still the easiest and fastest to use and the PIM applications are superior to anything out there.

not sure which will be better the treo 800w or the treo pro - both with wifi, both windoze mob, i want a centro.

Go with the Treo Pro. I have a Treo 800w and it comes with so many bugs (e.g. it turns itself on every minute, draining the battery; there's no audio adapter at all for 3.5mm headphones). I have a feeling the Treo Pro will have a much better build quality since it's made by HTC, which makes far more innovative Windows Mobile phones.

HTC makes the Treo Pro, so I think the quality will be superb.

HTC also has some other great phones out there, so take a look at their website. Their phones are often renamed and rebranded by different US carriers. The HTC Touch Diamond is probably one of the nicest looking ones out there.

I got Palm treo 700wx from ebay for 30 bucks.

I have added epocrates, washington manual and diagnosarus via computer sync.

any other software that I need ?

any free software?

I got Palm treo 700wx from ebay for 30 bucks.

I have added epocrates, washington manual and diagnosarus via computer sync.

any other software that I need ?

any free software?

Did you sign up for a data plan for that phone? I used to have the wx as well (loved it) and epocrates ran up a ton of data usage in the background despite me not even opening it. So beware if you don't.

so u require data plan for epocrates?

I thought free version downloaded on ur device

so u require data plan for epocrates?

I thought free version downloaded on ur device

I used epocrates on WM6 before - you don't need a data plan. Just make sure to set the program up while you are connected to wifi and promptly change the epocrates updates to manual - that way epocrates will never try to update when you aren't connected.