Paid Lunch hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finalpsychyear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone is working for $100/hr but the lunch is included as one of the countable hours is the rate actually higher than this?

1.Example 10a-4p is 5 work hours but my colleague is being paid for 6. I calculate this is 120hr.
2. Is it normal or usually a rare perk for lunch to be included as wage hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Why is anyone working an hourly paid job as a psychiatrist for $100 an hour? The going rate is $200+ unless you're salaried.

Reactions: 3 users
Why is anyone working an hourly paid job as a psychiatrist for $100 an hour? The going rate is $200+ unless you're salaried.

Its not real numbers. Was just for example. Upon further discussions having or being paid for the lunch hour whether employed or contracted is not normal so if one was it would need to be calculated in the actual hourly wage.

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone is working for $100/hr but the lunch is included as one of the countable hours is the rate actually higher than this?

1.Example 10a-4p is 5 work hours but my colleague is being paid for 6. I calculate this is 120hr.
2. Is it normal or usually a rare perk for lunch to be included as wage hours?
In my employed position, there is a 30 minute lunch break that is uncompensated. So in reality, my 10 hour shift is a 10.5 hour shift. So, if my experience is compared to your example, a paid lunch break does increase your total compensation by a small amount.

The two hourly jobs I've worked were both one day per week so no formal admin time but the scheduling people always made sure to not put anyone in a half-hour slot around lunch time. So I guess I did not officially have paid lunch breaks but I basically had paid lunch breaks.

Interesting. So generally salaried (not hourly) employees do not have at least a 30-minute lunch included into their hours? Are most people with 40 hour per week employed schedules working 8.5 hour days?

I'm salaried and officially work 7.5 hour days so there is a built-in 30 minute lunch per 8 hour day that is technically unpaid. I also get admin time, though, and just build my schedule the way I need it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm salaried and officially work 7.5 hour days so there is a built-in 30 minute lunch per 8 hour day that is technically unpaid. I also get admin time, though, and just build my schedule the way I need it.

how much admin time is worth trying to get if your working 30-35 hours weekly... an hour a day?

how much admin time is worth trying to get if your working 30-35 hours weekly... an hour a day?
An hour a day would be the minimum if you are referencing 30-35 hours of clinical time.

In addition to my four 30-minute admin time blocks, which are paid, I have an unpaid hour lunch. We have recurring meetings roughly every other Thursday over lunch and ad-hoc meetings are encouraged over lunch. If we had frequent lunch meetings then I'd have an issue with it but not particularly bothered by the one day roughly every other week.

I get 2 hours of admin time per day, but work 10 hour days. I feel like this was pretty standard when I was interviewing a couple years back.