Overcoming a low GPA -- I feel like I have many options but I'm not sure which is most effective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkinnyJoshPeck

Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional candidate, I'm looking at getting back into the race but I have some areas I'd like to round out and compensate for.

I'm a decent candidate with a Math degree. Some genetics research along side research in mathematical models of cancer and some pure math research (both would be solid, respectable LORs), (Super) low end of the acceptable GPA (3.2) with a super strong upward trend (last 60+ credits has been a 3.9; I was diagnosed and medicated for a mental illness), a repeat class (Physics), lots of leadership, solid ECs and volunteering (at a free clinic). Only person in my family's history to have a Bachelor's degree. Ever. Grew up in poverty with a single mother. You get the picture.

When I graduated 2 years ago, I had a 6-figure job thrust in my face doing Machine Learning at a solid company and I took that job. Medical School is a commitment and I was discouraged due to my GPA. Additionally, I hadn't done the MCAT so why not take a break and get some cash. Long story short -- I took that break and now I'm sure I want to do medical school.

Knowing I need to compensate for a low GPA, and knowing I won't be some 520+ MCAT candidate without intense commitment to studying, I wanted to spitball with y'all fine folks about what I could do to beef up my application with my background? Should I commit to doing exceptional on the MCAT? Should I jump into healthcare doing some ML? I'm not sure what I can do for my GPA at this point given that I have like ~130 credits. It would take a long time to bring that up, however I still have been taking classes for fun since I left, so it's slowly going up (I am only two semesters from getting a second degree in Psychology which is why I've been doing it, but I don't think having a second degree will mean **** in my application). I've considered becoming a scribe on the weekend to get more clinical and face-time with doctors, too.

Anyways, I'm interested in opinions and thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think that the somewhat unique job experience will make up for the GPA. Could try a post-bacc or try to get a 520+ on the MCAT

Well whatever else you decide, you’re going to have to commit to the MCAT . Especially if you hope to be somewhat competitive for MD schools. Anything above a 500 would probably be okay for DO if you’re open to that path.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grew up in poverty with a single mother.

Knowing I need to compensate for a low GPA, and knowing I won't be some 520+ MCAT candidate without intense commitment to studying, I wanted to spitball with y'all fine folks about what I could do to beef up my application with my background?
Have hundreds (> 200) of hours of service to others less fortunate than yourself.
You don't need a 520+ MCAT.
513+ for MD schools
510+ for your state school
505+ for DO. In fact, you're fine for some (not all) DO schools right now
Should I commit to doing exceptional on the MCAT?
All pre-meds should be doing that
Should I jump into healthcare doing some ML?
Do you have any clinical exposure already? If not, you need to shadow doctors (~50 hrs) and either volunteer or work in a patient contact setting. Scribing would kill two of these birds with one stone.
I'm not sure what I can do for my GPA at this point given that I have like ~130 credits.
Many med schools reward rising GPA trends. Chances for MD will be best with your own state school(s).
It would take a long time to bring that up, however I still have been taking classes for fun since I left, so it's slowly going up (I am only two semesters from getting a second degree in Psychology which is why I've been doing it, but I don't think having a second degree will mean **** in my application).
It's not about raising the GPA anymore.
I've considered becoming a scribe on the weekend to get more clinical and face-time with doctors, too.
Good idea

Read this:

Well whatever else you decide, you’re going to have to commit to the MCAT . Especially if you hope to be somewhat competitive for MD schools. Anything above a 500 would probably be okay for DO if your open to that path.
Yeah it seems to be general consensus that stellar MCAT makes up for all mistakes, haha.

Yeah it seems to be general consensus that stellar MCAT makes up for all mistakes, haha.
No, that’s not what I meant. The MCAT is important but one metric doesn’t make up for another. But with your GPAS there might be some gaps in knowledge so don’t take the test until you are consistently scoring at or above your target score on a series of FL practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user