Other OT-Related Information OTD (Chatham) or MSOT (Salus) ? One week to decide! Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaturallyOT

Reaction score
I have quite a dilema that I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any input or advice they can offer. I am torn between two programs and have one week to decide where I want to attend school. I can either attend a three year entry level doctorate at Chatham University in Pittsburgh for about $94,000 or I can attend a two year MSOT at Salus for around $68,000. I am nervous about the debt but feel as though if I go the masters route and try to go back for a doctorate later it will be more expensive than doing Chathams program.

1. Do employers ever help pay for continuing ed?
2. Pro's and con's on OTD v. MSOT?
3. Any Salus or Chatham Alum who have any thoughts?
4. How hard is it to go back for your OTD after working for a while?

I did love my visit at both schools so this choice is very hard to make. Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated and needed!

Members don't see this ad.

I have quite a dilema that I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any input or advice they can offer. I am torn between two programs and have one week to decide where I want to attend school. I can either attend a three year entry level doctorate at Chatham University in Pittsburgh for about $94,000 or I can attend a two year MSOT at Salus for around $68,000. I am nervous about the debt but feel as though if I go the masters route and try to go back for a doctorate later it will be more expensive than doing Chathams program.

1. Do employers ever help pay for continuing ed?
2. Pro's and con's on OTD v. MSOT?
3. Any Salus or Chatham Alum who have any thoughts?
4. How hard is it to go back for your OTD after working for a while?

I did love my visit at both schools so this choice is very hard to make. Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated and needed!

I feel like you are better off with the MSOT. You will have less debt.. more time to pay it back cause you will be working sooner.. All entry levels pretty much make the same money regardless of the degree level, and AOTA has been on the fence about making it a requirement. (Keep pushing the date back.)

And some employers will do a tuition reimbursement.

Most my OT professors have gone back for OTD’s or PHD’s after working.. they seem to handle it fine.

I will be attending Chatham! Hi!

My sister-in-law got her masters at Pitt 3 years ago. She is now going back for her doctorate and its incredibly expensive. She wishes she could've gotten it all done in one shot when she was a graduate student. Some will say the entry-level OTDs con is price but you end up paying for it in the end if you go back.

Her work will not pay for it because it is not the requirement for the position. She can work as a pediatric OT with her masters. BUT she needs it to make more money at her place of work and to teach. I think the tuition reimbursement will depend on your employer and what is required to have for the position you hold/are applying for.

Additionally, she states it is way harder to go back to school and get back into that mindset after being away from academics for so long. She finds herself struggling to focus and stay motivated like she was during graduate school.

For me, a MS is not a option due to location. I have to earn the OTD if I want to pursue OT. If I were to choose between the two, I think I would pick the OTD. My reasoning is that after OTD school I want to have children, to work, begin paying off student loans, and begin my adult life after academia. I do not want to worry about if I need to go through more schooling to pursue more opportunities in my field. Its an extra headache and the thought of going through a similar application process with added responsibilities on my plate is very exhausting.

Additionally, Chathams program is 32 months which is only 8 more months of schooling compared to the MS. In the time it takes to finish a 36 month OTD for other programs, I will already have my boards scheduled and possibly already overwith. At chatham, we will still be ahead of the traditional OTD timeline.

As you may have learned when you were visiting Pittsburgh, we are a global healthcare hub here. You have UPMC and Allegheny Health Network here along with many other private facilities. There are so many opportunities to pursue a variety of fieldwork placements. Its incredibly exciting to have the opportunity to earn my degree within growing and innovative healthcare climate.

Good luck with your decision and I will see you in the fall if you choose Chatham! xx

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi what were your stats for Chatham if you don't mind me asking and when did they get back to you?